Australian woman scatters her father’s ashes on Olympic trackAugust 10th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Aug 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Australian woman, whose father participated in the Olympics in 1948, the last time the Olympics were held in London and won a silver medal scattered her father’s ashes at the Olympic grounds. Her father had participated in the triple jump, which was then known as the hop, skip and jump and it is at the grounds of this game that the woman scattered the ashes of her father.
Robyn Glynn came to London with her family to purposely scatter the ashes of her father. Robyn said that when his father heard that the Olympics were going to be held in London again, he was determined to attend the games. Sadly, George Avery died in 2006 at the age of 81. His daughter Robyn believes that by bringing the cremated ashes of her father, she fulfilled his wishes of coming to the 2012 London Olympics.
Robyn also believed that she was honoring the Olympic legacy of her father. If George Avery would have made it to the Olympics this year, he would have been shocked at how much the Olympic grounds had been developed because the games he participated in were the first after the world war and the grounds were not so much developed because of the bad economy at that time.
- Mayookha's coach yet to get clearance for London Games - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympic rings launched on Thames - Feb 29, 2012
- Triple jumper Mayookha out of Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, Saina gets rousing reception (India Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Krishna Poonia qualifies; Mayookha, Om Prakash out (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Indian triple jumper Renjith crashes out - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympics: Heartbreak for Liu and Idowu in Tuesday's qualification - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Kazakhstan's Rypakova leaps to triple jump gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- World polo body hopeful of game getting back to Olympics - Dec 18, 2011
- Huge welcome in Colombia for Olympic medallists - Aug 16, 2012
- Woman power at London Games (Olympic diary) - Aug 07, 2012