Australian system needs overhaul: BuchananJanuary 1st, 2009 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 1 (IANS) Former Australian coach John Buchanan believes the national side’s series loss to India and South Africa is a “fantastic opportunity” to complete a long overdue overhaul of the system. Buchanan said it was simplistic to blame a transitional period after the retirements of Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Adam Gilchrist, as well as stalwarts such as Jason Gillespie, Justin Langer, Stuart MacGill and Damien Martyn.
“There are broader issues there,” Buchanan, who took the world champions to record Test match-winning streaks, was quoted as saying in Daily Telegraph. “They’ve been overlooked for a long period of time and now we’re starting to see the outcomes of those.
“It’s systemic and that’s been the case for some period of time but while things were going well, people chose to ignore them.”
Buchanan is reluctant to speak in specifics about the problems in the game around the country but said he tried to have several issues addressed while he was in charge from 1999 to 2007.
Buchanan said development, coaching and talent identification were just small pieces of a big, complex puzzle but were among areas demanding improvement.
“I think the real upside here, the real upside for everybody, is that it’s a fantastic opportunity for administrators, coaches, players to actually stop and look at what’s actually happening, and not just the immediacy of the results,” he said, adding that there would be no overnight fix.
- Former Oz cricket coach John Buchanan stresses need for system overhaul - Jan 01, 2009
- Asif says nobody supported him during his tough days - Dec 26, 2009
- England recruits Buchanan to get insider's view on Oz players - Aug 09, 2010
- Gillespie roped in as Kings XI Punjab coach - Apr 09, 2011
- Fleming backs former teammates for Australia's bowling coach job - Jan 22, 2011
- Warne says selectors must starting looking to the future - Nov 23, 2009
- Aussies no longer invincibles: Buchanan - Oct 04, 2008
- Langer asks 'fantastic" Hughes to ignore critics and play his natural game - Nov 21, 2009
- Atherton's ridicule of baggy greens leaves Australians simmering - Jan 04, 2011
- Hayden, Langer back Hughes to return to Oz squad - Dec 11, 2009
- England have better chance to win Ashes: Tendulkar - Oct 30, 2010
- Bichel doesn't want to be Aussie bowling coach - May 18, 2012
- Hussey unfazed with Yuvraj's barbs about Oz chances in WC quarterfinal - Mar 22, 2011
- CA has no right to prevent uncontracted players from participating in IPL: Martyn - Mar 02, 2010
- Hodge arguably the unluckiest cricketer of his generation: Ex-Oz selector - Jan 23, 2011