Australian swimmer Rice pulls out of CWGAugust 20th, 2010 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Aug 20 (IANS) Pull-outs from the Commonwealth Games have continued, the latest being Australia’s triple Olympic gold medallist swimmer Stephanie Rice. She decided to skip the Oct 3-14 Games in New Delhi due to a shoulder surgery.
Rice, who is in California for the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships, said she could no longer bear the pain caused by inflammation on her right shoulder and will have to undergo a surgery in a fortnight.
“Obviously it’s a big disappointment to me. I have to think about the bigger picture, and that’s definitely London 2012,” the 22-year-old was quoted as saying in the Australian media.
Rice broke down while announcing her decision in California in front of the Australian television crew.
Rice, who was one of the high-profile athletes in the Australian contingent, won the Olympic golds in Beijing in the 200m and 400m individual medleys and in the 4×200m freestyle relay.
The decision on surgery was taken in consultation with coach Michael Bohl.
“As disappointing as it is, I think it’s the right decision. It’s going to be really hard to watch the team go away and watch everyone race,” Rice said.
Rice said the surgery would be a “clean-out” and not a reconstruction of her shoulder.
“They have told me rehab is 12 weeks, I guess four weeks out of the water if the surgery goes well,” she said.
- Oz Olympic legend backs swimming champ Rice to make golden return - Aug 21, 2010
- Olympic champion Rice happy to focus on preparation - Jul 24, 2012
- Shoulder injury may keep Oz swimmer Rice out of Commonwealth Games - Aug 19, 2010
- Teenage swimming sensation Seebohm to spearhead Oz challenge at CWG - Aug 27, 2010
- 14-year-old Chinese girl emerges as threat to Oz swimmer Rice - Nov 15, 2010
- Oz swimming star Rice may go for shoulder surgery - Aug 10, 2010
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Seebohm determined to be face of Oz swimming at Delhi CWG - Oct 02, 2010
- Paralympics: China's gold rush continues - Sep 08, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- National Games: Richa Mishra takes her tally to 11 golds - Feb 18, 2011
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: australian swimmer, australian television, beijing, commonwealth games, contingent, disappointment, fortnight, gold medallist, inflammation, london 2012, medleys, New Delhi, olympic gold, olympic golds, pan pacific swimming, pan pacific swimming championships, right decision, shoulder surgery, stephanie rice, television crew