Australian swimmer banned from Commonwealth GamesAugust 26th, 2010 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 26 (IANS) Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon was banned from taking part in the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games Thursday after he failed a dope test.
World swimming body FINA imposed a three-month ban on Napoleon for unknowingly taking a banned substance called formoterol Nov 16 last year.
“Napoleon has taken the asthma medication Pulmicort for most of his life. However, on this occasion a Pulmicort inhaler was wrongly labelled by a pharmacist and was actually Symbicort, which contains Formoterol,” Swimming Australia was quoted as saying in a statement by the Sydney Morning Herald Thursday.
FINA also accepted that an innocent mistake was made by the 20-year-old but the swimmer should have been aware of what medicine he is taking.
“It is clear that the swimmer had no intention of enhancing his sports performances. The doping panel underlines the responsibility of the athlete to check his medicine,” said FINA’s doping panel.
Napoleon had qualified for the 400m and 1500m freestyle and is disappointed that he won’t be able to compete in the Delhi Games.
“It is devastating. It’s extremely disappointing and something that I have been dealing with since April this year when I was first notified that there was an issue,” said Napoleon in a Swimming Australia statement.
“A mistake was made, and the FINA panel accepted that a mistake was made in the hearing, but as an athlete I still understand that I have a responsibility to check all my medication thoroughly.”
“It may not feel like it now, but I know that I will get through this and become a stronger person and athlete because of it,” he said.
- Oz swimmer Napoleon banned from Delhi Commonwealth Games - Aug 26, 2010
- CAS clears Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon to participate in Delhi CWG - Sep 15, 2010
- Federation to make a case for dope-tainted swimmers - Sep 08, 2010
- Olympics: Chinese anti-doping official warns athletes - Jul 24, 2012
- Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in Olympics - Jun 09, 2012
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Oz swimmer Ryan Napoleon desperate to compete at Commonwealth Games - Sep 27, 2010
- Brazilian swimmer banned for two years - Jun 28, 2012
- IOC 'sad' at dope suspicion over Chinese swimmer - Jul 31, 2012
- Provisional suspension of dope-tainted athletes lifted - Sep 22, 2010
- Troubled waters: Delhi belly too much for Hurley to stomach - Oct 05, 2010
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012
- World swimming body president believes records should be kept - Jul 26, 2009
- Mandeep, Juana ask for food supplements to be examined (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: 1500m freestyle, 400m, asthma, asthma medication, athlete, australian swimmer, commonwealth games, dope test, fina, formoterol, innocent mistake, intention, medication, morning herald, napoleon, pharmacist, pulmicort inhaler, sydney morning herald, symbicort, test world