Australian Squash Open concludedAugust 19th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, Aug 19 (IANS) After seven days of intense competition, the 2012 HI-TEC Australian Squash Open concluded at the Canberra Royal Theatre Sunday.
In the women’s final, defending champion Nicol David of Malaysia won her second consecutive Australian Open when she beat Laura Massaro, third seed from Britain, reports Xinhua.
David saved six game points in the crucial opening game then overwhelmed the Englishwoman in the next two to win 17-15, 11-2, 11-6 for her 62nd title on the women’s tour.
She showed why she is considered the greatest player of the past decade as she absorbed everything Massaro threw at her before turning the screws on her opponent.
After defeating defending champion Nick Matthew at the 2011 Australian Open, defending champion Ramy Ashour was at his best as he downed fellow Egyptian Omar Mosaad in straight games to win his second Australian Open crown in men’s final.
Although the 24-year-old top seed took 53 minutes to see off the tall and powerful Mosaad 11-9, 11-9, 11-6, he said he found it difficult playing against Mosaad, someone he grew up with in Egypt.
Earlier, Dipika Pallikal became the first Indian to reach the semi-final of a Gold Series event, but lost to Massaro in five games Saturday.
The Australian Squash Open is an annual squash tournament that takes place in Canberra in August. The tournament has been held since 1980.
- Dipika loses in semis of Australian Open squash - Aug 18, 2012
- Squash: Dipika shocks Serme to enter last 8 - Aug 16, 2012
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Dipika reaches Gold Series semis, creates history - Aug 17, 2012
- Dipika Pallikal wins California squash event - Sep 12, 2011
- Joshna enters WISPA Challenger squash final - Apr 22, 2011
- Ghoshal, Pallikal win national squash titles - Dec 10, 2011
- Dipika, Joshna in semis of Wispa squash - Apr 21, 2011
- Ghosal enters pre-quarters of Punj Lloyd Squash - Dec 13, 2011
- Nandrajog wins Coca-Cola Squash Open - Jul 29, 2012
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Suchde crashes out of Punj Lloyd Squash, Ghosal plays Tuesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Punj Lloyd Squash: Shorbagy stuns Darwish to enter semis, Ashour crashes out (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Ghosal makes last 4 at Kolkata squash meet - Apr 02, 2011
- Dipika loses title clash at Tournament of Champions - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: australian open, canberra, decade, defending champion, egypt, englishwoman, five games, game points, gold series, intense competition, mosaad, open crown, opponent, screws, seven days, squash tournament, straight games, xinhua