Australian capital to host maiden ODIJune 8th, 2012 - 11:54 am ICT by IANS
Canberra, June 8 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) government announced Friday that the men’s cricket team will play its first ever one-day international match here in 2013.
CA chief executive officer, James Sutherland, welcomed the support of the ACT Government in securing the match to be played at Manuka Oval as part of the 2012-13 Commonwealth Bank One-Day International Series.
“This is an historic moment for cricket in nation’s capital and a great way to help celebrate the Centenary of Canberra,” Sutherland said in a statement released by CA.
“Canberra continues to play an important role in Australian cricket producing some of our best national players and hosting the annual Prime Minister’s XI match,” he added.
Sutherland said ACT Government’s commitment to upgrade the Manuka Oval will not only help to position it to host future international and domestic cricket matches, including matches in the 2015 Cricket World Cup, but will also help promote the game of cricket in Canberra and surrounding areas.
“I congratulate the ACT Government for their enthusiasm and support of this match. The government has been a strong advocate for cricket in the ACT and helping to bring the Australian cricket team to Canberra.” Sutherland said.
- Windies, Australia to renew ODI rivalry - Jul 22, 2012
- India to play extra warm-up game in Australia - Oct 05, 2011
- Australia considering India's call for extra warm-up match - Aug 20, 2011
- Sharma proves his fitness in farcical draw - Dec 21, 2011
- Cricket Australia announce squads for warm-ups against India - Dec 09, 2011
- Tendulkar's personal practice assistant keeps him busy - Dec 19, 2011
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian batsmen warm up in style, Tendulkar top scores with 92 - Dec 16, 2011
- Adelaide joins the race to host 2015 World Cup final - Feb 03, 2012
- I am ready for Boxing Day Test: Ed Cowan - Dec 20, 2011
- CA congratulates Paul Reiffel on Test umpiring debut - Jul 25, 2012
- Ankle scare for Ishant as Indians toil hard - Dec 15, 2011
- Nielsen resigns as coach of Australian cricket team - Sep 20, 2011
- Warne wants legends cricket match to raise money for Queensland flood victims - Jan 13, 2011
- Gillespie to be Australia A assistant coach for Zimbabwe tour - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: act government, advocate, australian capital territory, australian cricket team, bank one, canberra, chief executive officer, commonwealth bank, cricket australia, cricket world cup, domestic cricket, game, james sutherland, manuka oval, match, odi, prime minister