Australia wins 4×100m medley goldJuly 29th, 2012 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) Melanie Schlanger anchored the Australians to Olympic gold in the women’s 4×100 metre medley Saturday.
Schlanger, who was on the 4×200m gold-winning team in Beijing, held off a late charge from Ranomi Kromowidjojo to take first place ahead of the Netherlands.
The US had led after strong legs from Missy Franklin, Jessica Hardy and Lia Neal, but Schlanger timed her final burst to perfection, securing the win by more than half a second.
Kromowidjojo swam the race’s fastest 100 meters with 51.93, which sealed the silver for a Netherlands team that had not been in the top three until the final leg.
The US ended with a second off the pace to take the bronze, while China, a persistent threat throughout, was bumped off the podium at the last.
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Kromowidjojo blazes to 100m freestyle gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Franklin backstrokes to 100-m gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympics: Franklin sinks world record to clinch 200m backstroke gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Lia Neal qualifies for the Olympics - Jul 16, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Schmitt wins women's 200m freestyle - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- South Africa's Chad wins six golds at Swimming World Cup - Oct 09, 2011
- Phelps caps career with gold in Olympic relay - Aug 05, 2012
- Hungary top medals table at Euro swimming - May 28, 2012