Australia will play Muralitharan with confidence: JulianMarch 3rd, 2011 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 3 (ANI): Former Australian fast bowler Brendon Julian has said that Ricky Ponting’s team will play Sri Lankan off spinner Muttiah Muralitharan without fear during their World Cup encounter on Saturday.
Muralitharan’s exploits against Australia in one-day cricket have yielded a modest 53 wickets at 31.15, compared to an incredible career average of 23.20.
Only India has a better record against Muralitharan, reducing the all-time one-day international leading wicket taker to an average of 31.26 against them.
“I think (Australia’s record against Murali) will give them a bit of confidence going into the game … they’ll be quietly confident they can play him well,” Julian told Foxsports.com.au.
“I think Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke have played him quite well and been quite aggressive against him. There’s no doubt he’s not as good as he was five or six years ago, but he’s still good enough to bowl a team out and win a game. (Australia) will still show him that respect,” he said.
By handling Muralitharan, Australia shouldn’t think that the job is done, as they have a poor away record against Sri Lanka, winning just six from 19 matches against the island nation since 1992. (ANI)
- "I'm not going to be the new Ricky Ponting", says new Australian captain Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
- Ponting should give up captaincy to rediscover batting form: Blewett - Dec 29, 2010
- New Oz captain Clarke hoping to earn respect of his doubters - Mar 31, 2011
- Aussies hope to blunt Lanka bowlers in WC clash - Mar 05, 2011
- Muralitharan, Malinga make Sri Lanka our toughest opponent: Ponting - Mar 04, 2011
- Kumble calls Muralitharan's 800-wickets feat as "unparalleled" - Jul 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against Australia - Mar 05, 2011
- Clarke will face awkward start as one-day captain: Julian - Mar 29, 2011
- Tendulkar, Muralitharan raise the stakes - Mar 31, 2011
- PC, exam scare halting Murali from UK cricket stint - Apr 06, 2011
- Australia's questioning of Murali's bowling action unjustified: Sangakkara - Oct 20, 2010
- Ricky Ponting sees Malinga a real threat - Mar 04, 2011
- Warne to enter Oz Cricket Hall of Fame, Clarke favourite for Border medal - Feb 26, 2012
- Sri Lanka thump New Zealand for fifth straight time (Statistical highlights) - Mar 30, 2011
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: brendon, career average, confidence, cricket, encounter, exploits, island nation, julian, melbourne, michael clarke, muttiah muralitharan, no doubt, ricky, ricky ponting, six years, sri lankan, time one, wicket taker, wickets, world cup