Australia will find Swann difficult to tackle: EmbureyOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 26 (IANS) Former England captain John Emburey said Graeme Swann will enjoy an upper hand against Australian batsmen in the upcoming Ashes series.
Emburey, a member of the last England team to taste Ashes glory in Australia in 1986-87, believes off-spinner Swann can capitalise on Australian conditions and the use of the umpire referral system to befuddle Ricky Ponting’s team.
“Because Australian pitches are rough and hard - they don’t dust like they do here - the ball will turn sharply out of footmarks, and bits the size of your fingernail will work loose,” Emburey was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph.
“With the referral system in place, the Australian left-handers will struggle against him when he bowls at them from ’round the wicket’,” Emburey said.
“You’ve now got Hot Spot and Hawk-Eye working in your favour and getting you lbws. I would have benefited a lot from referrals, bowling straight from wicket to wicket.”
Of Swann’s 113 Test wickets, 33.62 per cent have come in the form of lbws. In comparison, less than 13 per cent of Hauritz’s Test victims have been trapped in front of the wickets.
“Swanny gets a high proportion of his wickets lbw, which shows his range of variation in deceiving batsmen,” Emburey said.
- Swann's use of umpire referral system to sound death-knell for Oz in Ashes: Emburey - Oct 26, 2010
- Hauritz resists Ponting's push for change in bowling style - Nov 03, 2010
- India opposes umpire decision review in England Tests - Jun 10, 2011
- Hauritz says pressure will be England's Swann to deliver in Ashes - Nov 10, 2010
- Umpire Decision Review System biggest single factor in recent rise of spinners: Swann - Nov 09, 2010
- Shame that Hawk-Eye is not being used: Swann (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Shame that DRS won't be available for India series: Swann - Jul 19, 2011
- Ashes: Swann questions Doherty's call up for Australia - Nov 22, 2010
- "Our slow bowlers can beat the Aussies", says Swann - Jun 28, 2009
- Swann can turn Ashes series in England's favour: Lee - Oct 17, 2010
- Fletcher backs Swann's 'mental hold' over Oz to win Perth Ashes Test for England - Dec 15, 2010
- Healthy competition among English batsmen: Bell - Aug 21, 2011
- England three wickets away from Sydney Ashes Test glory - Jan 06, 2011
- Swann questions Oz selectors decision to sack Nathan Hauritz - Jan 02, 2011
- Dumped Hauritz rewarded for astounding domestic performance in December - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: captain john, daily telegraph, england captain, england team, favour, fingernail, hawk, hawk eye, hot spot, lbw, left handers, pitches, proportion, referral system, referrals, ricky, test wickets, umpire, variation, wicket