Australia to have smallest Olympics squad in 20 yearsFebruary 24th, 2012 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 24 (IANS) Australia will have their smallest squad at the forthcoming Olympics since the 1992 Barcelona edition.
With the football team not qualifying for the London Olympics, the Australia contingent could fall below 400 for the first time since Barcelona Games where it had 279 athletes.
The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) had wanted to send a 420-member squad for the July-August event.
Chef de mission Nick Green conceded that Australia’s aim of finishing in the top five at London has taken a hit.
“We won’t have a powerful Australian team across all of our disciplines so, on that note, it is disappointing,” Green was quoted as saying by Sydney Morning Herald.
“It is still a strong team. It is just a shame football won’t be there.”
The Olyroos won’t feature in the Olympics for the first time since 1984 after their loss to UAE in the Qualifiers Thursday knocked them out of the London race. The women’s had also failed to qualify in September.
Australia football coach Aurelio Vidmar said the players were devastated.
“It would have been a big thing to go and represent your country and play at the Olympics, but it is not to be,” Vidmar said.
So far, Australia have earned 228 quota places for London. They finished sixth in the overall standings at the Beijing Games in 2008.
- Dejected Rajpal blames HI for his omission from London list - Feb 27, 2012
- Players' obsession is only to win: Hockey coach Michael Nobbs - Jun 17, 2012
- Olympic hockey: Netherlands beat Argentina to defend women's title - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Australia paddle to kayak four gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Olympic football: Menezes refutes Brazil gold medal pressure - Aug 06, 2012
- Manavjit Sandhu, Imran Hassan qualify for London Olympics - Jan 22, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Riaz wants to bury the ghost of Sydney Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Alba, Mata and Martinez in Spain's Olympic squad - Jul 04, 2012
- I can prove myself again: Rathore - Feb 01, 2012
- SAI refuses to pay for national soccer team's Dubai tour - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: aoc, aurelio, australian olympic committee, barcelona games, beijing, chef de mission, contingent, disciplines, football coach, football team, london olympics, london race, member squad, morning herald, nick green, olympics, olyroos, quota, sydney morning herald, vidmar