Australia still a bit soft in the middle: RoebuckMarch 16th, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Mar. 16 (ANI): Cricket columnist Peter Roebuck has said that Australia’s performance in the 2011 World Cup has been unconvincing.
Describing the Australians as rusty in their match against Kenya in Bengaluru, Roebuck says the Australians have not resolved obvious weaknesses in the middle order and spin department.
“As far as the batting is concerned, Cameron White remains the headache. White’s problem is that his engine takes a lot of cranking. Lacking neat footwork and clever hands, he cannot easily guide the ball into gaps. In the past he has been able to recover lost ground with powerful strokes over the boundary. Indeed he is one of the few Australians able to clear the ropes,” says Roebuck.
He adds: “White’s timing has been askew and his confidence has sagged. Maybe he is trying to hit the ball too hard, always a mistake.”
He believes that the Australians should bring in David Hussey, as he is “more fertile”.
“The Australians will also be hoping that their captain (Ricky Ponting) recovers his most fluent form and that Brad Haddin does not get carried away with improvisation,” he adds.
He concludes by saying: “Hereafter the Australian will play a lot of games in a short period - assuming they last the course. By the time they face Pakistan on the weekend, though, the Australians will need to have everything in its rightful place.” (ANI)
- Dravid has rediscovered form via Twenty20 cricket: Roebuck - Oct 04, 2010
- Ponting would do well to spend time in the middle: Roebuck - Oct 02, 2010
- Ponting can look back on 2009-10 season with satisfaction: Roebuck - Jan 18, 2010
- Clarke showing glimpses of old self with steady Gabba knock: Roebuck - Jan 31, 2011
- Aussies need to start playing cricket to stop speculation of calamity: Roebuck - Nov 04, 2010
- Not sending Marsh to World Cup means sending wrong batsmen: Roebuck - Jan 22, 2011
- Test cricket triumphs as Laxman has proved he's Australia's nemesis: Roebuck - Oct 06, 2010
- Formidable Australia was just too much for `barbecued' Windies: Roebuck - Nov 30, 2009
- 'After a shaky start, the year might yet end well for Clarke', says Roebuck - Nov 12, 2010
- Watson one of the most valuable cricketers in the world: Roebuck - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Presumed dead-and-gone Oz cricketers' still have plenty to offer: Roebuck - Oct 18, 2010
- Oz WC campaign deeply flawed, time for the next generation to come in: Roebuck - Mar 26, 2011
- Ex-Victorian keeper Berry, a good choice for Oz coach: Roebuck - Feb 12, 2011
- Ponting will always be behind Bradman: Roebuck - Aug 01, 2009
- Australia has suffered its worst cricketing day for 100 years: Roebuck - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: australians, bengaluru, cameron white, captain ricky ponting, clever hands, columnist, cricket, david hussey, footwork, gaps, headache, improvisation, kenya, match, peter roebuck, ricky, ropes, short period, strokes, world cup