Australia retain first place after Sydney winJanuary 7th, 2009 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Jan 7 (IANS) Australia retained their No.1 ranking by winning the Sydney Test but South Africa will go top if they win the return series starting next month.Australia, however, lost the three-match Test series 2-1 against South Africa and the pressure is still on Ricky Ponting’s team as the gap at the top has been closed to just five ratings points.
It is the first time South Africa has won a Test series in Australia and it sets up a fascinating return series, the first Test of which gets underway Feb 26 in Johannesburg.
Any sort of victory in that three-match series will see the Proteas go top of the rankings.
With India very much in the ascendency there are now just eight points separating first place from third with all three teams very much in contention for the right to be called the No.1 Test side in the world.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka strengthened its hold on fourth place in the rankings following its 2-0 series win in Bangladesh. That win gave Sri Lanka another ratings point to put it within 10 of India and six ahead of England, which recently lost an away series 0-1 to India.
Pakistan is another three points further back in sixth place while the West Indies is still just ahead of New Zealand by a fraction of a point following the recent drawn series in the Land of the Long White Cloud.
1. Australia 126 rating points
2. South Africa 121
3. India 118
4. Sri Lanka 109
5. England 103
6. Pakistan 100
7. West Indies 81
8. New Zealand 81
9. Bangladesh 0
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- India drop to third place in ICC Test rankings - Jan 28, 2012
- Australia goes ahead of India in Test rankings - Apr 29, 2012
- Younus Khan jumps 11 places in ICC rankings (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- Test rankings: England on top, India third - Apr 07, 2012
- England consolidate their lead in Test rankings - Jun 12, 2012
- India have good chance of going past England in ODI rankings - Oct 12, 2011
- India need a whitewash of Sri Lanka to be No. 1 ODI team - Jul 19, 2012
- India move to third spot in ICC ODI rankings - Oct 26, 2011
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- England deserve to be No.1 Test team: ICC - Aug 13, 2011
- Younus Khan moves up on rankings ladder - Dec 13, 2011
- Ojha breaks into top-15 of ICC Test rankings, India remain second - Nov 27, 2011