Australia needs hard nuts like “Punter” despite World Cup debacle: Dean JonesMarch 27th, 2011 - 3:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 27(ANI): Former Australian batsman Dean Jones has urged Cricket Australia against dumping Ricky Ponting from the team following their early exit from the World Cup.
Ponting arrived home on Sunday morning following Australia’s World Cup quarterfinal elimination by India.
“Ponting is our greatest one-day player and the second-best player to have played for Australia since Donald Bradman. If Cricket Australia wants to take the captaincy off him, that’s fine. But let Ponting decide when he wants to pull the plug in one-day and Test cricket,” Jones wrote in an article for the Sydney Morning Herald.
“We need hard nuts like “Punter” and he would love to help the young kids out,” he added.
Ponting scored 206 runs from seven World Cup games at an average of 34.33.
His 104 from 118 balls against India in the quarterfinal was his first international century in 13 months.
The 36-year-old, who has been captain for nine years, was under pressure even before the World Cup after the Ashes debacle early this year.
He has played in five World Cup tournaments, including Australia’s loss to Sri Lanka in the 1996 final and the three titles which followed in 1999, 2003 and 2007, the last two under his captaincy. (ANI)
- Ponting to decide international future during 'crucial next few days' - Mar 27, 2011
- Ponting's inspirational impact can lead Oz cricket back to its former glory: Langer - Mar 28, 2011
- Ponting's decorated one-day career has run its course: Robert Craddock - Mar 25, 2011
- Haddin backs 'consistent leader' Ponting's captaincy - Mar 26, 2011
- Ponting gave me freedom to be the captain I wanted to be: Clarke - Apr 21, 2011
- World Cup exit not the end of an era for Oz cricket: Ponting - Mar 25, 2011
- Public should give 'Pup' Clarke a fair go - Apr 09, 2011
- Ponting should stay at number three in Oz batting order: Mickey Arthur - Mar 31, 2011
- Ponting had done enough to have say on his future as captain: Gilchrist - Mar 22, 2011
- 'I'll continue to learn from ex-captain Ponting', says Clarke - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Tendulkar will be the role model for Punter in quest for greatness,' says Warne - Apr 09, 2011
- Dean Jones backs Australia to win fourth World Cup in a row - Feb 11, 2011
- "I'm not going to be the new Ricky Ponting", says new Australian captain Clarke - Mar 30, 2011
- A cafe to satiate cricket appetite (World Cup Diary) - Mar 29, 2011
- Ponting faces Aussie media ire - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: batsman, best player, cricket australia, dean jones, debacle, donald bradman, early exit, hard nuts, morning herald, nine years, ponting, punter, quarterfinal, ricky, sunday morning, sydney morning herald, test cricket, world cup games, world cup tournaments, young kids