Australia name unchanged XI for second TestJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 2 (IANS) Australian captain Michael Clarke Monday named an unchanged XI for the second Test against India starting Tuesday at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) here.
Clarke decided to leave out Queensland quick Ryan Harris and retained spinner Nathan Lyon for the 100th Test at the SCG. Lyon has been a success for Australia since making his debut in the Sri Lanka series in August.
“Same team as Melbourne, so tough call on Rhino (Harris). He’s been a wonderful bowler for us and I love having him in and around the group and it was tough to leave him out but we’ve stuck with the winning team in Melbourne,” said Clarke at the SCG.
Clarke said it would have been foolish to change the winning combination.
“I think the way we performed in Melbourne, it’s tough to change that team,” he said.
Clarke said his in-form fast bowlers led by James Pattinson, Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus had enough rest since the first Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) that finished inside four days courtesy of Australia’s crushing win. Hilfenhaus was retained after taking seven wickets in his return to Test cricket in Melbourne.
“We’ve had a long enough break as well and that was probably the other consideration. Finishing the game a day early and the bowlers not bowling too many overs in the second innings has certainly helped them,” he said.
Australia: Michael Clarke (captain), Brad Haddin (vice-captain/wicketkeeper), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Shaun Marsh, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Nathan Lyon, Ben Hilfenhaus, Ryan Harris (12th man).
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Australia retain squad for Adelaide Test - Jan 17, 2012
- India opt to bat against Australia at SCG - Jan 03, 2012
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Arthur hints at retaining bowling attack for SCG Test - Dec 31, 2011
- Australia drop Starc, Christian from 11 for Boxing Day Test - Dec 24, 2011
- Australia opt to bat against India - Dec 26, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test - Jan 06, 2012
- Australia recall Pattinson, drop Harris - Feb 28, 2012
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Second Test, Day One - Jan 03, 2012
- Copeland, Lyon new faces in Australia's squad for Sri Lanka series - Jul 26, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test, Day Four - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: 12th man, australian captain, captain brad, captain michael, david warner, first test, james pattinson, melbourne cricket ground, michael clarke, michael hussey, ricky ponting, ryan harris, second test, seven wickets, siddle, sydney cricket ground, vice captain, wicketkeeper, winning combination, winning team