Australia hoping to win FIFA World Cup bid with feminine charmsNovember 25th, 2010 - 5:32 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov 25 (ANI): It looks like Australia is hoping to persuade FIFA bosses in the World Cup bid by sending a female-led delegation to Zurich where the decision on who will host the 2022 World Cup is being made.
The Australian delegation in Zurich will be led by supermodel Elle Macpherson and Governor-General Quentin Bryce, and singer Kylie Minogue is also said to be in talks to attend.
“We will be presenting a very strong case for Australia to FIFA on how we could hold a fantastic World Cup,” the Herald Sun quoted Bryce as saying.
The female-led campaign comes after actress Nicole Kidman fronted a bid video shown around the world that was highly praised by senior FIFA officials.
There is intense secrecy surrounding the presentation that Australia will make, with bid consultants convinced it can have a defining effect in the last moments of the campaign.
Half of it will be a film directed by Philip Noyce and featuring various bid ambassadors, including Olympians Cathy Freeman and Ian Thorpe, F1 driver Mark Webber and soccer star John Aloisi - talking against a backdrop of iconic Australian scenery.
Westfield boss Frank Lowy and soccer CEO Ben Buckley will also make speeches in the 30-minute presentation to the 24-member FIFA executive committee next week. Also to be decided next week will be the 2018 host nation.
Australia’s rivals for 2022 are led by Qatar and the US, followed by Korea and Japan. (ANI)
- Australia favourite to host 2022 football World Cup after 2018 bid-axe - Jun 11, 2010
- Australia in denial over World Cup soccer snub - Jan 27, 2010
- Cameron to visit Zurich for last-ditch 2018 football WC bid lobbying - Nov 12, 2010
- Australia falters in bid to host 2018 World Cup - Jun 09, 2010
- FIFA begins inspection for 2018-2022 World Cups - Jul 20, 2010
- 'British press, complaint against Russia may nix England's WC 2018 bid chances' - Oct 30, 2010
- FIFA opens ethics proceedings against its President Joseph Blatter - May 27, 2011
- Brad Pitt to compete with Beckham for World Cup bid - Jun 04, 2010
- FIFA provisionally suspends members over 2018, 2022 World Cup 'vote-selling scam' - Oct 21, 2010
- 2018, 2022 World Cup bidding process in turmoil over FIFA officials' vote-selling scam - Oct 17, 2010
- FIFA inspects Japan's bid to host 2022 World Cup - Jul 20, 2010
- Capello, Charlton called up to boost England 2018 FIFA World Cup bid - Nov 26, 2010
- FIFA boss Sepp Blatter sorry for 'gay' remarks - Dec 18, 2010
- Australia lost 2022 World Cup bid due to playing it 'clean': Consultant - Dec 06, 2010
- Qatar makes pitch for FIFA World Cup in the desert - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: 2022 world cup, actress nicole kidman, australian delegation, australian scenery, cathy freeman, elle macpherson, f1 driver, feminine charms, frank lowy, herald sun, host nation, ian thorpe, kylie minogue, mark webber, minute presentation, nicole kidman, olympians, philip noyce, soccer star, supermodel elle macpherson