Australia beat Sri Lanka to win Commonwealth Bank tri-series (Lead)March 8th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Adelaide, March 8 (IANS) Upul Tharanga’s gritty 71 runs went in vain as Australia defeated Sri Lanka in the third and deciding final match to win the Commonwealth Bank tri-series by 16 runs here Thursday.
Sri Lanka, chasing a target of 232, lost wickets at regular intervals and never seemed likely to reach Australia’s score. However, Tharanga played a patient innings and kept one end up to keep the Asian islanders in the contest.
The left-hander, along with Lahiru Thirimanne (30), formed a crucial 60-run partnership after the Lankans were in deep trouble at 53-4. Tharanga kept losing partners on the other end and was finally dismissed by Shane watson to end Sri Lanka’s hopes of winning the triangular tournament.
Clint McKay was the star with the ball for the Australians taking five wickets and giving away only 28 runs. Brett Lee too bowled with great pace, taking three wickets but was a little too expensive giving away 59 runs in eight overs.
Earlier, Sri Lanka won the toss and put the hosts in to bat. Australia got off to a flyer courtesy David Warner (48) and Mathew Wade (49). However, the hosts were not able to capitalize on the good start provided by the openers and kept losing wickets to slump to 177-7.
Lee’s (32) handy contribution with the bat down the order bailed Australia out and took them to a fighting total of 231. For the Lankans Farveez Maharoof (3-40) and Rangana Herath (3-36) were the pick of the bowlers.
Australia: 231 all out in 49.3 overs (Mathew Wade 49, David Warner 48; Farveez Maharoof 3-40, Rangana Herath 3-36) beat Sri Lanka: 215 all out in 48.5 overs (Upul Tharanga 71, Lahiru Thirimanne 30; Clint Mc Kay 5-28, Brett Lee 3-59)
- Scoreboard: Australia vs. Sri Lanka, First final of CB series - Mar 04, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, first ODI - Jul 22, 2012
- India opt to bat in second ODI - Jul 24, 2012
- India bat against Sri Lanka in first ODI - Jul 21, 2012
- Asia Cup: Sri Lanka put India in to bat - Mar 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI, Asia Cup - Mar 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, eighth ODI - Feb 21, 2012
- Bangladesh restrict Sri Lanka to 232 - Mar 20, 2012
- ODI Scoreboard: Sri Lanka innings against India - Feb 08, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, 11th ODI - Feb 28, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, Asia Cup - Jun 22, 2010
- India, Sri Lanka to resume ODI rivalry - Jul 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against Australia - Mar 05, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, fifth ODI - Feb 14, 2012
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: australians, brett lee, commonwealth bank, david warner, deep trouble, farveez maharoof, final match, herath, hosts, intervals, islanders, left hander, mathew, mc kay, shane watson, sri lanka, target, tri series, upul tharanga, wickets