Australia announce under-19 cricket squad for India tourAugust 8th, 2011 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Aug 8 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) Monday announced a 14-member under-19 squad for a three-week tour to India that also involves Sri Lanka.
National talent manager Greg Chappell, a former Australian captain, said: “The Youth Selection Panel (YSP) has made a number of changes to the squad that played matches against the West Indies in Dubai in April as some who were not there are now available for selection. Unfortunately, CA-contracted player Patrick Cummins is not one of those players, due to his ongoing recovery from a back injury.”
Chappell said the new players coming in provide the YSP and coach David Fitzgerald a great opportunity to give international experience to a wide range of talented youngsters with the ultimate focus being the ICC Youth World Cup in Australia in 2012.
“Cameron Bancroft and James Peirson starred in the matches in April and since then both have been away with the AIS team to Chennai, India. Our view is that their games have continued to improve and these matches give them an opportunity to show off their skills. Fast bowler Dom McGlinchey, from Geelong, is a new member of the under-19 squad and impressed us on recent state visits to Victoria, which were attended by Australian bowling coach Craig McDermott. Dom also attended the Kerry Packer scholarship camp at the COE earlier this year,” Chappell added.
The role of captain will be shared throughout the tour. The tour of India will commence Sep 22. However, exact match dates and venues are yet to be confirmed at this stage.
Squad: Cameron Bancroft, Sebastian Gotch, Kurtis Patterson, Nicholas Stevens, James Peirson, Travis Head, Joel Paris, Alex Pyecroft, Corey Ogle, Dominic McGlinchey, Brad Chard, Ashton Turner, Shane Cassell, William Bosisto.
- U-19 World Cup: Australia beat South Africa, enter final - Aug 21, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Australia, U-19 World Cup Final - Aug 26, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Australia beat England by six wickets - Aug 11, 2012
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Australia march into semis - Aug 19, 2012
- U-19: Australia, Pakistan, Windies win - Aug 13, 2012
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Cricket Australia announce squads for warm-ups against India - Dec 09, 2011
- Cricket Australia likely to send their players to SLPL - Jun 21, 2011
- India win U-19 World Cup as Chand-Patel overpower Australia (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- New Zealand retain squad for Bahrain play-off - Oct 29, 2009
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
- Australia can't afford to waste talent: Chappell - Apr 14, 2011
- Gillespie to be Australia A assistant coach for Zimbabwe tour - Jun 03, 2011
- New Zealand names squad for World Cup qualifier against Bahrain - Sep 29, 2009
Tags: ais team, australian bowling, australian captain, bowling coach, cameron bancroft, chennai india, craig mcdermott, cricket australia, david fitzgerald, dominic mcglinchey, gotch, greg chappell, india tour, joel paris, kerry packer, scholarship camp, selection panel, talented youngsters, youth world cup, ysp