Aussies, Spain and Netherlands power on in men’s hockey (Roundup)August 16th, 2008 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 15 (DPA) Australia, the Netherlands and Spain all kept their clean tournament sheets in Olympic hockey Friday, with the Aussies and Dutch dominating Pool B and a tough fight developing behind Spain in Pool A. Defending champions Australia powered to a 3-1 win over Pakistan, who must now pray for a miracle if they are to advance, having taken just three points from three games.
They opened the scoring through a Shakeel Abassi field goal, but Grant Shubert struck back four minutes later, then the Aussies finished the job off in the second half with a penalty corner goal from Jamie Dwyer and a field goal from Travis Brooks.
The encounter left Australia - with goals a-plenty to their credit after the 10-0 trouncing of South Africa - still atop pool B, ahead of the Netherlands, who in their earlier match beat Canada 4-2 to also stay in a winning streak.
In the late pool B match, Great Britain beat South Africa 2-0 with goals in each half by James Tindall and Matt Daly to increase their points tally to six and keep in touch with the Aussies and Dutch.
In Pool A Spain took their unbeaten record to three with Pol Amat grabbing the clinching 2-1 against bottom-of-the-table China three minutes from time to ensure they stay top.
New Zealand beat Belgium 4-2 while in the final match, Germany and South Korea parted 3-3 in an edgy affair that saw each slip a place in the pool to third and fourth respectively.
Philip Witte Matthias Witthaus und Christopher Zeller scored for the Germans, and Woon Kon Yeo, Jong Hyun Jang und Jong Ho Seo for South Korea.
With two rounds left, the result left the pool tight in the fight for second qualifier for the semi-finals, with New Zealand, Germany and South Korea on 6, 5 and 4 points respectively behind unbeaten Spain’s 9.
- Defending champions Australia thrash Pakistan in men's hockey - Aug 15, 2008
- India face Holland in Olympic hockey opener - May 22, 2012
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat England 2-1 for third consecutive win - Dec 01, 2009
- South African men's hockey team qualifies for London Olympics - May 06, 2012
- The Netherlands make the semis despite losing to Korea (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2010
- Germany hand Australia first Champions Trophy loss - Dec 03, 2009
- Olympic hockey: Jittery India suffer third defeat - Aug 03, 2012
- Korea win in vain; Netherlands, Germany through to semis (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: India lose 1-2 to South Korea, finish sixth (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Champions Trophy: Spain to meet Australia in final - Dec 10, 2011
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat Pakistan 6-1, NZ hold Netherlands 3-3 - Dec 06, 2011
- Olympics hockey: India crushed 1-4 by South Korea - Aug 05, 2012
- Greece vs South Korea is clash of giant-killers - Jun 11, 2010
- Germany down Netherlands in football friendly, England beat Sweden - Nov 16, 2011
- Korea win but Netherlands join semis on goals tally - Mar 09, 2010
Tags: amat, aussies, corner goal, field goal, final match, hockey roundup, jang, matthias witthaus, olympic hockey, semi finals, shakeel, shubert, south korea, table china, three games, tindall, tournament sheets, unbeaten record, yeo, zeller