Aussie stars will have to risk all to regain Ashes: RoebuckNovember 14th, 2010 - 6:39 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov 14(ANI): Noted cricket commentator Peter Roebuck reckons that the Australia’s cricketers will have to play ‘open and attacking’ cricket for a successful Ashes campaign against England.
In his syndicated column for the Sydney Morning Herald, Roebuck writes that the Ricky Ponting-led Australian team needs to embrace the adventurous spirit.
“Nothing condemns a side more certainly than negativity. At present an anxious mood has formed around the team and it needs to be dispersed. It is the inevitable result of the struggle endured by a handful of players worried about their places,” Roebuck wrote.
“Cricketers under the pump become introspective, fearful of error. Before long, the entire team is ill at ease and poorly placed to resist a more outgoing opponent,” he adds.
He further said that Australia’s primary task in the next fortnight is to replace a fretful contingent.
“It’s a question of intent, not style. Hussey needs to get out there and score a century or else accept that it is over. North has to subdue the Poms or else realize that someone else deserves an opportunity. Hauritz needs to bowl as he prefers and may the devil take the hindmost,” Roebuck writes.
“In short, these players have to risk it all on the roll of a die. Only then can England be beaten. Inhibition, not hesitation, is fatal. If they are not up to the task of going toe-to-toe with the fourth-ranked team, they will not last long,” he added.
The first of the five Ashes Tests from November 25 to 29 will be followed by Tests in Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.
The tour also has two Twenty20 clashes and a seven-match ODI series. (ANI)
- Collingwood a weak link in England side: Warne - Dec 22, 2010
- Australian cricket, a product of rampant self-indulgence: Roebuck - Dec 08, 2010
- Aussies face fight of their life to retain World Cup crown: Roebuck - Jan 15, 2011
- Australia has suffered its worst cricketing day for 100 years: Roebuck - Dec 27, 2010
- Oz lacked quick as 'resourceful' as Zaheer, spinner as 'menacing' as Bhajji: Roebuck - Oct 14, 2010
- England can no longer afford to 'carry' Collingwood after Perth loss: Warne - Dec 22, 2010
- Australian side will struggle to win Ashes on present form: Roebuck - Jan 09, 2010
- England can win Down Under, but it will be damnably difficult: Roebuck - Nov 24, 2010
- Australia starting to settle down ahead of Ashes opener against England: Roebuck - Nov 20, 2010
- Aussies, a sorry lot in 'saggy' green caps: Atherton - Nov 19, 2010
- 'Dumped' Hauritz victim of Oz selectors' more aggressive outlook: Roebuck - Nov 22, 2010
- India will remember Roebuck for his indictment of Australian team - Nov 13, 2011
- CA needs to implement substantial improvements to restore standards: Roebuck - Jan 29, 2011
- Oz young brigade unfit for challenges of big stage cricket: Roebuck - Dec 09, 2010
- Clarke showing glimpses of old self with steady Gabba knock: Roebuck - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: adventurous spirit, clashes, commentator, cricketers, entire team, fortnight, hesitation, hussey, ill at ease, inevitable result, inhibition, morning herald, negativity, odi series, peter roebuck, poms, ranked team, sydney morning herald, sydney nov, syndicated column