Aussie players head for India to play in IPLMarch 3rd, 2010 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Mar 3 (ANI): More Australian players are likely to follow Brett Lee, Damien Martyn and Shane Warne who are en route to play in the Indian Premier League as security tensions ease.
Tim May, the president of the Federation of International Cricketers Associations (FICA), said the unions were now in possession of far more substantial information regarding security.
“This is a significant step forward. The more information you provide the players with, the greater the likelihood that they will attend the event,” May told BBC Sport.
“We have a significant amount of information we did not have previously, which will assist players making far more informed decisions about whether to go or not,” he said.
“We haven’t reached utopia yet, but the new information has given us greater confidence. Last week we were operating in an information vacuum,’ May added.
The threat against players had come from the “313 Brigade” offshoot of Al-Qaeda, but independent security consultant Reg Dickason has now deemed it to be not credible, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Dickason is presently working alongside the England team in Bangladesh.
Ian Smith, the legal director of the English union, said the situation had improved markedly, though he was critical of IPL chief Lalit Modi.
“The situation is a hell of a lot better than it was a week ago. I am cautiously optimistic that we can reach a point before the start of the tournament where Reg can say it is safe enough to travel,” he said. (ANI)
- Player unions want more adequate outline of security plans at IPL - Feb 25, 2010
- Marsh rejects Martyn's double standards claim over participation in IPL - Feb 26, 2010
- Modi accuses Ponting of influencing Australian players - Feb 24, 2010
- Now comes talk of cricket World Cup moving out of India - Feb 22, 2010
- IPL security plans sufficient only on paper, says Dickason's report - Feb 24, 2010
- Play IPL at your risk, England, Aussie boards tell players - Feb 21, 2010
- Security fears in India may prompt Australia, NZ to host 2011 ICC World Cup - Feb 23, 2010
- Modi allays cricketers' security fears (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- Lee, now a victim of schism dividing Oz player participation in IPL - Feb 25, 2010
- `I've spoken to the Australians, there are no security fears, IPL will go on,' says Modi - Feb 23, 2010
- Australian players clash with Ponting over participation in IPL - Feb 24, 2010
- Hockey Australia happy with Delhi security, cricketers await advice - Feb 15, 2010
- India safe to host World Cup: ICC chief - Feb 23, 2010
- Cricketers urged to boycott T20 Champions League - Mar 09, 2011
- CA has no right to prevent uncontracted players from participating in IPL: Martyn - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,