Attack best form of defence: Darren Bravo on maiden Test tonNovember 1st, 2011 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mirpur (Bangladesh), Nov 1 (IANS/MC) “I thought attack was the best form of defence,” says talented West Indies strokemaker Darren Bravo of his maiden Test hundred here in the second Test against Bangladesh Monday.
The left-handed was undefeated on 100 that lifted West Indies to 207 for three in their second innings and an overall lead of 331 on the third day at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium.
“I went out and backed my ability. I played well and it paid off in the end. I was not getting a lot of runs in this series, but I never lost faith,” said the 22-year-old from Santa Cruz, Trinidad.
“I knew there was something special for me around the corner. I was always keeping the faith and it feels nice to capitalise on the hard work I have been putting in.”
Bravo reached the milestone in his 18th Test innings from the final ball of the day, cutting Suhrawadi Shuvo square for two.
“Every batsman dreams of a Test hundred and I’m very happy to reach the landmark. I just went out and played my natural game.”
As always, Bravo had to field the question about the comparisons with his idol, West Indies batting legend Brian Lara.
“I look up to Lara a lot,” he said. “As a kid growing up, I would look at him batting and when he got out I would turn off the TV to go outside and play.
“To be quite honest, though, this is my natural way of batting. I just go out and express myself. I’ve heard this question over and over. When I’m performing, nobody sees it as a burden, but as soon as I’m failing, the question pops up.”
- Dwayne Bravo says expect more runs from stylish brother - Nov 26, 2011
- I played my natural game: Bravo - Nov 17, 2011
- Simmons keen to play in ODIs against England - May 09, 2012
- Edwards focused on winning it for West Indies - Oct 31, 2011
- Wins will give West Indies momentum in Tests: Bravo - Jun 17, 2011
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Gayle's presence was icing on memorable century: Samuels - Jul 08, 2012
- Touring West Indies under fire from English media - May 03, 2012
- Dwayne Bravo named ODI vice captain - Mar 15, 2012
- Rejuvenated Dwayne Bravo eyes Test return - Jul 05, 2012
- Pakistan unpredictable, West Indies inconsistent (Preview) - Mar 22, 2011
- Barath blames early morning start for first innings collapse - Nov 16, 2011
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
- Samuels strokes half-century on Test return - May 22, 2011
- Baptiste, Bravo, Mohammed voted Trinidad and Tobago best - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,