Atletico Mineiro held guilty of exploitation of minorsMay 16th, 2012 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, May 16 (IANS) A Brazilian court has found national first division club Atletico Mineiro guilty of exploitation of minors.
The Belo Horizonte-based club was ordered Tuesday to immediately cease its football training programmes for children under the age of 14, Xinhua reported.
In a decision likely to have wider implications on the game in Brazil, Judge Mauro Elvas Carvalho said the practice encouraged “selectivity and hyper-competitiveness” among children.
The ruling came after Brazil’s public ministry requested an investigation into the programs, claiming they amounted to child labour and therefore contravened laws in by the federal constitution.
In one testimony, the court heard children as young as 11 were forced to train from lunchtime until 7 p.m., arriving home exhausted and hungry.
The ministry said several clubs from other Brazilian states were being investigated for similar offences. Sao Paulo’s Portuguesa Santista has also been found guilty.
Atletico Mineiro has denied any wrongdoing and is expected to appeal the decision.
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro debut postponed - Jun 06, 2012
- Ronaldinho signs up with Atletico Mineiro - Jun 05, 2012
- Ronaldinho's debut for Atletico Mineiro debut put off - Jun 07, 2012
- Soccer player dies during match in Brazil - Jul 09, 2012
- Ex-Brazil keeper Dida set for Portuguesa debut - Jun 19, 2012
- Ronaldinho scores first goal for Atletico Mineiro - Jun 24, 2012
- Former Brazil star Dida considers comeback - May 23, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Sao Paulo signs Assuncao from Atletico Madrid - Jul 22, 2012
- Former Chelsea boss Villas-Boas in talks with Sao Paulo - Jun 09, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro return to top of Brazil's Serie A - Aug 10, 2012
- Ronaldinho rediscovers magic in debut for new club - Jun 10, 2012
- Neymar ensures Santos victory over Flamengo - Sep 13, 2012
- Villas-Boas rejects offer to coach Sao Paulo - Jun 27, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: atletico mineiro, belo horizonte, brazil, brazilian court, brazilian states, carvalho, child labour, club atletico, competitiveness, federal constitution, football training, lunchtime, mauro, public ministry, rio de janeiro, sao paulo, selectivity, testimony, wrongdoing, xinhua