Atletico confirm coach Manzano’s sackingDecember 23rd, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 23 (IANS) Gregorio Manzano was sacked as coach of Spanish La Liga side Atletico Madrid after a series of poor results, the club confirmed.
Manzano becomes the fourth coach in Spain’s top flight to lose his job this season, following Michael Laudrup of Mallorca, Hector Cuper in Racing Santander and Juan Carlos Garrido, who was sacked by Villarreal Wednesday night.
The former Mallorca, Rayo Vallecano, Malaga and Valladolid coach has lasted less than half of the season in what was his second spell at the club.
Manzano’s agent, Garcia-Quilon, had confirmed to sports paper Marca earlier in the day that Atletico had called him with a view to rescinding Manzano’s contract with the club’s disappointing start to the campaign.
Manzano finally lost his job after Atletico were knocked out of the Copa del Rey by third tier side Albacete following a 0-1 defeat in the Vicente Calderon less than 24 hours earlier, Xinhua reported.
Manzano accepted an offer this summer to return for a second spell at the Vicente Calderon Stadium, but was never popular with the majority of fans, after his previous season in charge had ended with the club failing to qualify for Europe in 2004.
The coach did take Atletico into the last 32 of the Europa League, but their form in the domestic La Liga has been very erratic with their away form especially being a problem. Atletico have only managed to draw one game away from home and have not won in the league away from the Calderon.
Manzano also angered supporters by falling out with popular winger, Jose Antonio Reyes, who has not played in recent matches, despite being the club’s most in-form player.
His position became increasingly uncomfortable a fortnight away as his side was beaten 2-1 by Albacete in the first leg of their Copa del Rey tie and following that a 4-2 thrashing away to Espanyol and a 2-0 home defeat to Betis.
Former Atletico player and Argentina international, Diego Simeone is expected to be named as Manzano’s replacement.
- Villarreal sack coach Garrido after Cup humiliation - Dec 22, 2011
- Europa League: Atletico Madrid qualifies for knock-out stages - Dec 16, 2011
- Manzano faces difficult night in Vicente Calderon - Dec 13, 2011
- Former Atletico hero Diego Simeone is their new coach - Dec 24, 2011
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Real Madrid beat Malaga 3-2 in Copa del Rey - Jan 04, 2012
- Copa return leg matches may see some surprises - Jan 10, 2012
- Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter-final clash likely - Dec 24, 2011
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Reyes keen on returning 'home' - Jan 02, 2012
- Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona vie in Copa del Rey final - May 24, 2012
- Michael Laudrup steps down as Mallorca coach - Sep 27, 2011
- Caparros commits to another season with Mallorca - May 20, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Atletico Madrid to host Barca-Bilbao Copa del Rey final - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: atletico madrid, carlos garrido, copa del rey, diego simeone, fortnight, gregorio manzano, hector cuper, jose antonio reyes, juan carlos, mallorca, michael laudrup, quilon, racing santander, spanish la liga, sports paper, top flight, valladolid, vicente calderon, winger, xinhua