Aston Villa to question Arsenal signing of ArshavinFebruary 5th, 2009 - 1:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb.5 (ANI): Aston Villa are expected to take the lead in questioning Arsenals 16.9 million pound signing of Russian soccer star Andrey Arshavin at a Premier League meeting today. According to The Sun, several clubs would want to know how the signing was allowed to proceed nearly 24 hours after the transfer window closed.
Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said he expects the topic of Arshavin to come up.
Arsenal, however, insists that all forms were signed before Mondays 5 p.m. deadline and the FA support the claim.
Villa boss Martin ONeill declared: I havent anything to say on the matter. There is a Premier League meeting tomorrow where some points are being raised, not necessarily by us. Its about clarification to the extension.
The Russian, 27, had signed a 70,000-pound-a-week contract at the Emirates to 2012 on February 2. He made it in the nick of time, just minutes before the transfer window slammed shut, reports The Sun. Arshavin was so desperate to complete his move that he hired a private jet to fly him from Russia to London on Sunday night. And it was a good job he planned ahead because of the heavy snow which cut off Londons airports yesterday.
Arshavin arrived in England before a fee with Zenit was even agreed.
But the Russians blinked first, reluctantly agreeing to Arsenals 12 million pound offer with add-ons taking the deal to a maximum 15 million pounds. (ANI)
- Arsenal send Arshavin to St. Petersburg on loan - Feb 25, 2012
- Russian football star Arshavin joins Arsenal - Feb 03, 2009
- Pogrebnyak agrees contract with Reading - Jun 30, 2012
- Zenit mulling Arshavin bid: Coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Aston Villa rejects Man City's 25-mn pound bid for Milner - May 20, 2010
- Ferguson's whopping 100,000 pound-a-week offer for Young - Apr 01, 2011
- Reading completes Pogrebnyak signing - Jul 07, 2012
- Arsenal needs a miracle to win Premier League, says Arshavin - Jan 12, 2010
- Aston Villa asks Man City to pay 30-million pounds for Milner - Jul 27, 2010
- Arsenal expect Arshavin in training by July 21 - Jul 05, 2012
- Aston Villa to double their transfer record to get Bent - Jan 18, 2011
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- Premier League managers don't like signing Englishmen - Jul 27, 2010
- Young snubs Villa to join top Premier league clubs - Mar 16, 2011
- 'Russia can survive without Arshavin' - May 29, 2012
Tags: airports, andrey arshavin, arsenal, arsenals, aston villa, chief executive, clarification, february 2, good job, heavy snow, london feb, nick of time, oneill, paul faulkner, premier league, private jet, russian soccer, russians, soccer star, take the lead