Aspire for Olympics: Sebastian Coe urges Indian youthNovember 19th, 2007 - 9:23 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Nov 19 (ANI): Chief of the Organising Committee for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, Sebastian Coe on Monday urged Indian youth to take to sports and aspire for the Olympics.
Casually dressed in shorts and a white T-shirt with the logo of the London Olympics 2012, Coe jogged and performed exercises with young Indian boys and girls at a training session at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in the national capital.
“I was hoping that a lot of the young talent with I was running today or who were watching the training sessions will be inspired to compete in 2010 in Delhi, and look at the Olympics as an ambition in years to come. So we want more young people into sports and this is the right way to do it,” Coe said.
He also said organising international events like Olympics and Commonwealth Games acts like a catalyst in constructing new infrastructures.
“The new metro system, the extension at the airport and all the re-development that is taking place is really important, that is why large sporting events is so important. They are able to be a catalyst for other things that we look to,” he added.
Delhi will be staging the 2010 Commonwealth Games at an estimated cost of 70 billion rupees. (ANI)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium hosts a two-day Asian All-Star Athletics meet - Jul 30, 2010
- Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012 - Dec 10, 2011
- Former TV executive named mayor of Olympic Village - May 29, 2012
- Sebastian Coe launches Olympic bicycles - Dec 11, 2011
- Britain can't force sportsperson to participate in CWG: Sports secretary - Jul 28, 2010
- Cricket overshadowing other sports in India: Sebastian Coe - Apr 28, 2011
- Commonwealth Games more important than ever: London Olympics chief - Oct 13, 2010
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- London Olympics motto 'Inspire a generation' unveiled - Apr 18, 2012
- School children create largest human London 2012 Logo - Apr 25, 2012
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Late on scene, Games merchandise does brisk business - Oct 07, 2010
- Nice to find Commonwealth Games organisers so relaxed: Coe - Jul 28, 2010
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympic games, casually, catalyst, commonwealth games, international events, jawaharlal nehru, london olympics 2012, metro system, nehru stadium, organising committee, rupees, sebastian coe