Asif’s Nottinghamshire dream falls apart as PCB denies permissionApril 21st, 2010 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Apr.21 (ANI): The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has denied giving a nod to controversial fast bowler Mohammed Asif to play for English county team Nottinghamshire this summer.
Asif was due to sign for Nottinghamshire after the ICC T20 World Championship, but the PCB has denied giving permission to the lanky fast bowler over injury fears.
The PCB’s denial has disappointed Asif, as he was looking forward to gaining some vital experience before Pakistan’s long tour to England by playing the English county season.
“I was looking forward to gaining some further experience in England ahead of the summer. I am disappointed at not getting this opportunity for the county,” PakPassion.net quoted Asif, as saying.
He, however, said that the PCB is concerned about the fitness of players and wants to play a full strength squad in Test matches against England and Australia later this summer.
“In particular, after the recent injuries to Arafat and Gul, Pakistan are very keen to have a fully fit bowling attack for the tour of England later this year, and I can understand why this decision was made,” Asif said. (ANI)
- Waqar says fully fit pace attack critical for Test series against England and Australia - May 13, 2010
- Arafat becomes second bowler to reach 100 T20-wicket milestone - Jul 28, 2010
- Injured Arafat out of World Twenty20 - Apr 13, 2010
- Selectors have to take a call on Harbhajan - Oct 28, 2011
- Malik recalled to Pakistan squad for Zimbabwe tour - Aug 21, 2011
- Afridi says no to Hampshire stint after being handed over Test captaincy - May 27, 2010
- Pakistan completely out bowled Australia in Headingley Test: Lawson - Jul 24, 2010
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Pak favourites to win T20 World Cup : Asif - Apr 17, 2010
- Aamer confident of a good show against Australia - Jul 13, 2010
- No compromise on discipline, fitness, performance: Pak selector - Apr 19, 2010
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Umar Gul doubtful for Test series against Australia - Dec 23, 2009
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Our plans for Indians didn't work in World Cup semifinal clash: Umar Gul - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: arafat, australia, bowling, denial, england, fears, fitness, full strength, gul, mohammed asif, nod, nottinghamshire, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, t20, test matches, vital experience