Asif’s lawyer confident of preparing strong caseJuly 28th, 2008 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, July 28 (IANS) Pakistan’s dope-tainted fast bowler Mohammad Asif will go to Switzerland next week to get his ‘B’ sample tested in a bid to clear his name as the alleged offence is threatening to end his international career. Shahid Karim, Asif’s lawyer said Monday that at his client’s request his B sample test, which had been scheduled for July 28, has been postponed and it will now be held on August 6.
Karim, who will be travelling to Switzerland along with Asif, said: “Hopefully, we will prepare a strong case by August 6,” he said.
International Cricket Council’s (ICC) anti-doping regulations provide players and/or their representative the right to be present when the B sample is opened and analysed.
Asif, 25, had tested positive for banned substance nandrolone during the Indian Premier League (IPL) in May after the Delhi Daredevils’ semifinal defeat to the Rajasthan Royals, his second doping offence in two years.
The lanky pacer tested positive for the same substance in 2006 during an out-of-competition test conducted by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). He was banned for two years, but the sentence was overturned on appeal. According to World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) rules, a second doping offense can result in a life ban.
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Hockey keeper Adrian D'Souza tests positive for banned substance - Apr 13, 2012
- Hockey keeper Adrian D'Souza tests positive for banned substance (Lead, correcting last para) - Apr 13, 2012
- Mumbai FC's Nishant Mehra tests positive in I-League - Feb 09, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- B-samples of six wrestlers also test positive - Sep 06, 2010
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- Police, paramilitary athletes fall into dope trap - Apr 22, 2012
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- CGF confirms Sri Lankan boxer failed drug test - Oct 25, 2010
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- Dope tainted runners Mandeep and Juana's hearing adjourned - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: daredevils, international career, international cricket council, ipl, karim, lawyer, life ban, mohammad asif, offence, pacer, pakistan cricket board, premier league, rajasthan, sample test, substance nandrolone, switzerland, wada, world anti doping agency