Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finalsMay 4th, 2012 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kuwait City, May 4 (IANS) Joshna Chinappa led the Indian women’s team’s charge into the semi-finals with a 2-0 win over second-seeded Malaysia in their all-important final pool match of the 16th Asian Team Squash Championship here.
In the first singles Thursday, Joshna scored a spirited 3-1 win over Delia Arnold after losing the first game to prevail 8-11, 11-4, 11-5, 12-10. Anaka Alankmony then outplayed Siti Munirah Josoh 11-6, 11-5, 11-4 to give India an unbeatable 2-0 advantage.
The inconsequential third singles match between Dipika Pallikal and Lo Wee Wern was withdrawn to confirm India’s progress into the semi-finals round.
By virtue of this victory, India topped their pool and play fifth-seeded Korea in the semi-finals while the Malaysians will take on top seeded Hong Kong.
Meanwhile, the Indian men’s team cruised past Japan 3-0 to also book their berth in the semi-finals and set up a clash with hosts Kuwait.
It was always going to be an uphill task for third-seeded India against the higher- ranked Malaysians. After Joshna lost the first game, things did not look good for the Indian contingent.
However, a disciplined and defiant Joshna turned things around very quickly, winning the second game 11-4. With this impetus, Joshna won the third game convincingly and was leading 7-3 in the fourth when Delia fought back to lead 10-9.
At that moment, Joshna’s adrenalin was pumping and she played a few wonderful volleys and cross-court drops to win the game and match.
With the Indians leading 1-0, Anaka went up against Siti who is ranked around 50 places above her. Anaka raced off to a 4-0 lead in the first and held on to her leads throughout the match winning in straight games to complete a brilliant performance all round.
Women - India beat Malaysia 2-0: Joshna Chinappa bt Delia Arnold 8-11, 11-4, 11-5, 12-10; Anaka Alankmony bt Siti Munirah Josoh 11-6, 11-5, 11-4; Dipika Pallikal vs Lo Wee Wern (match withdrawn).
Men - India beat Japan 3-0: Saurav Ghosal bt Shinnosuke Tsukue 11-3, 11-6, 11-5; Siddharth Suchde bt Yuta Fukui 11-4, 8-11, 11-8, 11-3; Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu bt Ryosei Kobayashi 11-1, 11-6.
- Anaka, Joshna enter semis in Chennai Open - May 24, 2012
- Asian squash: Indian men in last eight - May 03, 2012
- Dipika, Joshna in last 8 - Apr 21, 2011
- Dipika, Joshna in semis of Wispa squash - Apr 21, 2011
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- Ghoshal, Pallikal win national squash titles - Dec 10, 2011
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- Asian Games squash: Saurav beat Siddharth in quarters, bronze assured (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Joshna enters WISPA Challenger squash final - Apr 22, 2011
- Dipika enters semi-finals of Asian Squash - May 02, 2010
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
- Ghosal lone Indian survivor in Chennai Open squash - Mar 04, 2010
- Egypt too good for India in U-21 Squash World Cup - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: adrenalin, asian team, berth, brilliant performance, cross court, delia, dipika pallikal, first game, indian men, indian women, kuwait city, malaysians, munirah, second game, semi finals, straight games, third game, uphill task, volleys, wern