Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a pointJanuary 16th, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 16 (IANS) India’s young pistol shooter Heena Sidhu’s 2012 London dreams came crashing down by a fraction of a point in the 10-metre air pistol event Monday while her teammate Annuraj Singh won the individual bronze at the Asian Shooting Championship in Doha.
Heena missed the Olympic quota by a mere 0.9 points while Annuraj, who has already qualified for the Olympics, shot the bronze with a score of 98.2 in the final after a 383 in the qualifying.
The pistol team, comprising Heena, Annuraj and Shweta Chaudhary, however, won the team gold. But for Heena, who was third after the ninth shot, the victory was not sweet as a poor last shot in the final round pushed her to the fifth position and she lost a Quota place by 0.9 points. Heena finished fifth with a qualifying score of 381 in the qualifying round and 99.2 in the final.
Another Indian in the final round, Shweta also missed the Olympic quota. She was also going great guns in the final round but a poor 7.7 in the seventh shot squandered her chances. Shweta finished sixth with a score of 383 in the qualifying and 96.6 in the final.
Meanwhile, Raj Kumari won the gold and helped the team win the bronze in the women’s 50-metre rifle prone, whic is a non-Olympic event.
Raj Kumari won the gold with a score of 594 out of 600. The teanm of Ran Kumari, Tejaswini Sawant (582) and Lajja Goswami (579) won the team bronze.
All eyes will be now former world champions Sawant and Manavjit Singh Sandhu, trap shooter, and pistol shooter Aneesa Sayeed to book Olympic berths.
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Annu Raj shoots silver at World Cup, books Olympics berth - May 17, 2011
- Omkar wins bronze, silver for men and women's team - Oct 20, 2011
- Asian shooting: India win silver and two bronze in team events - Jan 14, 2012
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- CWG shooting: Heena gets silver, Jung bronze, Gagan fails to qualify - Oct 13, 2010
- I lost my focus, says Heena Sidhu - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG shooting: India surpass Melbourne medal tally, gold count falls (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2010
- Asian Games: Shooters add silver, bronze to India's medals tally (Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Asian Games: India wins first gold, in fifth position - Nov 14, 2010
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
- Olympics: Indian pistol shooters Rahi, Annu Raj out of 25m - Aug 01, 2012
- Asian Games: Shooters add to India's medals tally, Pankaj in sight of gold (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: air pistol, fifth position, great guns, heena, lajja, olympic berth, olympic berths, olympic event, pistol shooter, pistol team, quota, sayeed, shweta, sidhu, singh sandhu, team bronze, team gold, trap shooter, whic, world champions