Asian Junior TT: China win three of four titles, India two bronzeJuly 24th, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) India finished with two bronze medals in the Asian Junior Table Tennis Championship after Abhishek Yadav lost to China’s Zhou Kai in the semifinals of the Under-15 boys here Sunday.
China won three of the four titles in the individual event while Japanese Maharu Yoshimura won the Under-18 boys event.
Abhishek, who stunned top seed Lim Jonghoon of South Korea in the quarterfinal Saturday, went down 9-11, 7-11, 11-8, 4-11, 10-12 against the third seed Zhou, who eventually finished the runner-up.
Abhishek managed to pick up the third game but the Chinese never allowed the Indian to play his natural game, a strategy applied by most players of the world’s strongest table tennis nation.
The 15-year-old from Kanpur said he never expected to be in the last four and would want to compete in more international events.
“I thought I will try to beat a seeded player but getting into the semifinals was something I never thought about. I hope to play more often in tournaments like these,” Abhishek told IANS.
On the match, Abhishek added: “He (Zhou) played a lot better than the Korean. I was able to attack initially but then he did not give me the space to do that.”
India’s U-18 boys had to contend with a bronze after losing in the semifinals of the team event.
Such was the domination of China in the competition that three of the four semifinalists in all the four events were Chinese.
Later in the day, the sparse crowd gathered at the Thyagaraj Stadium witnessed some scintillating display in the U-18 boys final.
World No. 11 Yoshimura was up against No. 18 Yin Hang of China and the two got involved in long rallies on numerous occasions, making it good viewing for the spectators.
Yin, who had beaten compatriot and top-seed Lin Gaoyuan in the last four, kept on coming backing in the match but in the end Yoshimura emerged triumphant. If back hand top spin was the strong point of Yin, the Japanese made the difference with his lethal forehand drives.
Yoshimura also won more rally points and ultimately closed out the match with a long deceptive serve that missed his opponent’s bat. He won 13-15, 11-6, 11-9, 11-8, 11-13, 14-12.
Zhu Yuling of China beat fellow player Zhao Yan 7-11, 11-6,11-8, 9-11, 11-3, 11-9 in the U-18 girls final.
Junior boys (final): Maharu Yoshimura (Japan) beat Yin Hang (China) 13-15, 11-6, 11-9, 11-8, 11-13, 14-12; (semifinals): Yin Hang (China) beat LinGaoyuan (China) 7-11, 12-10, 11-8, 15-13, 5-11, 11-5; Maharu Yoshimura (Japan) beat Wu Jiaji (China) 11-8, 11-13, 11-9, 11-9, 7-11, 11-5.
Junior girls (final): Zhu Yuling (China) beat Zhao Yan (China) 7-11, 11-6, 11-8, 9-11, 11-3, 11-9; (semifinals): Zhu beat Ayuka Tanioka (Japan) 11-7, 11-3, 11-3, 12-14, 11-3; Zhao beat Gu Yuting (Chn) 6-11, 11-6, 11-6, 11-8, 11-7.
Junior boys doubles (final): Lin Gaoyuan and Wu Jiaji (China) beat Maharu Yoshimura and Asuka Sakai (Japan) 11-13, 11-9, 11-6, 9-11, 11-6.
Junior girls doubles: Gu Yuting and Zhu Yuling (China) beat Zhao Yan and Gu Ruochen (China) 11-7, 11-8, 11-3.
Cadet boys: (final): Zhou Qihao (China) beat Zhou Kai (China) 7-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-5, 12-10; (semifinals): Zhou Kai beat Abhishek Yadav (India) 11-9, 11-7, 8-11, 11-4, 12-10; Zhou Qihao beat Yu Ziyang (China) 8-11,12-14, 11-5, 7-11, 11-7, 12-10, 11-6).
Cadet girls: (final): Liu Gaoyang (China) beat Zhu Chaohui (China) 11-9, 7-11, 12-10, 11-5, 12-10; (semifinals): Zhu beat Doo Hoi Kem (Hong Kong) 11-9, 12-10, 11-7, 11-6; Liu beat Kim Jisun (South Korea) 11-8, 4-11, 11-3, 11-7, 11-4.
- Asian Junior TT: China dominate, India's U-18 boys get bronze (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
- Asian Junior Table Tennis: Abhishek assures India of a bronze - Jul 24, 2011
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- India dominate SAF Junior TT Championships - Jun 19, 2012
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- India win eight titles in ITTF junior TT event - Oct 02, 2011
- PSPB sweep all four singles titles at Junior National TT - Jan 09, 2012
- West Bengal, Andhra win junior TT titles - Dec 10, 2011
- Nandrajog wins Coca-Cola Squash Open - Jul 29, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- Kotiyan bags double in Mumbai TT - Jul 23, 2012
- Hei survives a scare in Indian Open junior squash - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: bronze medals, compatriot, junior tt, kai, New Delhi, quarterfinal, rallies, seeded player, semifinalists, south korea, sparse crowd, spectators, strong point, table tennis, tennis championship, third game, top spin, yadav, yoshimura, zhou