Asian Junior squash: Indian boys in final, girls bow outJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 22 (IANS) India entered the final in the boys section while the girls went down in the semi-finals of the Asian Junior Squash championship at the ICL Academy courts here Thursday.India defeated Korea 2-0 in the boys semi-final clash and will take on Malaysia who got past Hong Kong 2-1.
The Indian boys team proved too good for the Koreans as Aditya Jagtap gave the home side a solid start with a straightforward win against Seund Woo Jin in just 23 minutes.
Ravi Dixit followed it up by overcoming Won Suk Choi in five games while staging a remarkable recovery after falling 2-0 in arrears to ensure India’s progress to the final.
A depleted Indian girls team, without Dipika Pailikkal who is nursing a hamstring injury, had little chance against a strong Malaysia who came through 3-0 to set up a title match against Korea who ousted Hong Kong 2-1 in the semi-finals.
The Malaysians were well served by the sisters, Low Wee Wern, the Asian champion, and Low Wee Nee who had the measure of Anwesha Reddy and Anaka Alankamony, respectively.
Boys: Semi finals - Malaysia bt Hong Kong 2-1 (Ivan Yuen lost to Leo Au 9-11, 11-6, 4-11, 13-11, 7-11; Kamran Khan bt Kit Lun Choy 11-4, 11-9, 11-8; Ng Jo Wen bt Ngo Long Fung 12-10, 11-5, 11-8).
India beat Korea 2-0 (Aditya Jagtap beat Seung Woo Jin 11-5, 11-8, 11-6; Ravi Dixit bt Won Suk Choi 5-11, 2-11, 11-5, 11-5, 11-8).
For placings: Iran beat Sri Lanka 2-1; Qatar beat Japan 2-0.
Girls: Semi Finals - Malaysia beat India 2-0 (Low Wee Wern bt V. Anwesha Reddy 11-3, 11-8, 15-13; Low Wee Nee bt Anaka Alankamony 10-12, 11-9, 14-12, 11-9).
Korea beat Hong Kong 2-1 (Sun-Mi Song bt Tsz Ling Liu 11-8, 11-8, 11-8; Ji-Hyun Lee lost to Tsz Wing Tong 2-11, 5-11, 4-11; Teon-Soo Yang bt Ka Man Lee 19-17, 11-8, 5-11).
For placings: Singapore beat Japan 2-0; Sri Lanka beat China 2-0.
- Hei survives a scare in Indian Open junior squash - Aug 30, 2012
- Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finals - May 04, 2012
- Egypt beat India in squash World Cup final - Feb 05, 2012
- Malaysia beat India to lift Asian junior squash title - Jan 23, 2009
- Squash: Indian girls lose to Hong Kong - Jan 22, 2009
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Junior squash: Unbeaten India top group - Jul 15, 2012
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
- Egypt too good for India in U-21 Squash World Cup - Feb 02, 2012
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- West Bengal, Andhra win junior TT titles - Dec 10, 2011
- India storm into semis of World Junior squash - Jul 17, 2012
- Indian girls in semifinal of junior World Squash - Aug 06, 2009
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: aditya, arrears, asian champion, boys team, dixit, five games, girls team, indian boys, indian girls, junior squash, koreans, ling liu, little chance, long fung, malaysians, man lee, remarkable recovery, semi finals, tsz, wern