Asian Games: Shooters add silver, bronze to India’s medals tally (Lead)November 14th, 2010 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 14 (IANS) India’s women shooters won the team silver in the 10 metres air pistol event while in the men’s event Vijay Kumar bagged the individual bronze at the Asian Games here Sunday.
The trio of Heena Sidhu (381), Annu Raj Singh (380) and Sonia Rai (379) shot a total of 1,140 to bag silver, missing the gold by a point at the Aoti Shooting Range.
The South Korean team comprising Yunmi Gim (383), Byunghee Kim (379) and Ho Lim Lee (379) bagged the gold with 1,141 points. The Chinese team of Sun Qi (385), Guo Wen Jun (382) and Su Yu Ling (372) settled for bronze with 1,139 points.
Despite finishing on the podium in the team event, none of the Indian girls qualified for the final of the individual round. Heena, a gold medallist in the New Delhi Commonwealth Games, lost in the shoot-off after she was tied with two other shooters for the eighth place with 381 points.
Earlier in the day, Vijay won bronze in the men’s 10 metres air pistol event while the team finished fourth. Vijay scored 680.4 points (579+101.4) to grab the third place.
South Korean Lee Dae-Myung (685.8) won the gold while Chinese Tan Zonglian (684.5) the silver.
In the team event, Vijay (579), Gurpreet Singh (573) and Omkar Singh (568) shot 1,720 to finish fourth. Only Vijay made the cut for the finals at eighth position.
South Korea - Daemyung (585), Jin Jongoh (581) and Lee Sangdo (580) - won the team gold with a total of 1,746 points.
Chinese Zongliang (585), Pu Qifeng (580) and Pang Wei (578) shot 1,743 for the silver. Japan’s Tomoyuki Matsuda (577), Kojiro Horimizu (575) and Susumu Kobayashi (572) totalled 1,724 to grab the bronze.
- Asian Games: Shooters add to India's medals tally, Pankaj in sight of gold (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Games shooting: Vijay wins bronze in 10m air pistol(Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Games: Advani wins gold, shooters silver and bronze (Evening Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Games: Advani wins gold, shooters add to the tally (Roundup) - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Games: India wins first gold, in fifth position - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Games: Indian girls win silver in 10 m air pistol - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, Narang misses medal by a whisker (Second Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Omkar wins bronze, silver for men and women's team - Oct 20, 2011
- Asian Games shooting: India's rifle shooters miss gold by a point (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, rifle shooters disappoint (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian shooters bag gold, two silvers (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Asian shooting: India win silver and two bronze in team events - Jan 14, 2012
- Asian Shooting: Vijay Kumar wins gold in standard pistol - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: air pistol, asian games, chinese team, commonwealth games, eighth position, gold medallist, gurpreet singh, indian girls, matsuda, medals tally, omkar, sangdo, shooting range, shot 1, susumu, team gold, team silver, tomoyuki, vijay kumar, women shooters