Asian Games rugby: Indian ruggers continue to struggleNovember 22nd, 2010 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 22 (IANS) The Indian men’s and women’s team were outclassed in their pool matches Monday to find themselves at the bottom of the standings after the end of league round of rugby competition at the Asian Games here Monday.
The men’s team led by Nasser Hussain lost to China and neighbours Sri Lanka while the women were overwhelmed by teams from Japan and Singapore at the University Town Main Stadium.
Having finished at the bottom of Pool B, the men’s team will face Pool A leader Japan in the knockout round. The women also lost all their matches and are placed at the bottom of Pool B. They will meet Pool A topper China.
The Indian men, ranked 75th in the world, lost to 67th-ranked China 0-61 in their second Pool B match. In their next match, the team played a touch better against world no. 43 Sri Lanka, scoring 12 points in the first half. But the second half did not fetch a single point and they lost 12-42.
India lost to South Korea in their opening match Sunday.
The performance of the women’s team was also poor.
They were thrashed 0-36 by Japan and 5-22 by Singapore.
The team went down to Kazakhstan Sunday.
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- Asian Games rugby: India suffer huge defeats - Nov 21, 2010
- Indian spikers on a roll, enter Asiad quarters - Nov 20, 2010
- Top teams reach quarters at World TT - Mar 29, 2012
- Asian Games squash: India assured of two medals in team event - Nov 23, 2010
- Asian Games: Women's wushu silver, 9-0 hockey victory, Saina, Vijender move ahead (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2010
- Tennis gold-silver, archery bronze take India's Asiad tally to 36 (Evening Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Brazil stunned, US unscarred - Aug 02, 2012
- India's Asiad tally rises to 36, nine medals assured in boxing (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2010
- Asian squash: Indian men in last eight - May 03, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Saina reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open - Jun 14, 2012
- India beat Malaysia 4-1 in u-18 Asia Cup - Sep 22, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: Indian eves lose 0-4 to China - Sep 08, 2011