Asian Games athletics: India win gold in women’s 4×400m relayNovember 26th, 2010 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 26 (IANS) The Indian women’s 4×400m relay team, in a sensational burst, defended their gold medal in the Asian Games here Friday.
The victory gave India its fifth gold in athletics, and 13th overall. The women’s relay team had given India its only gold in athletics at the 2006 Doha Games.
The quartet of Manjeet Kaur, Sini Jose, Ashwini Chidananda and Mandeep Kaur, which won the gold in the 2010 Commonwealth Games, came on top here clocking 3:29.02 seconds.
Kazakhstan (Marina Maslyonko, Viktoriya Yalovtseva, Margarita Matsko, Olga Tereshkova) got the silver in 3:30.03 and China (Zhihui Zheng, Xiaoyin Tang, Lian Chen, Jingwen Chen) the bronze in 3:30.89.
Manjeet gave India a good start and Sini maintained the pace with a good run before handing the baton to Ashwini.
Ashwini, who won the gold in 400m hurdles, steamed ahead with rapid strides to break away from the pack and left Kazakh Margarita way behind.
It was left to Mandeep to give it a winning finish, but the tall Kazakh runner Olga came from behind to lead briefly. Seasoned Mandeep, however, had enough fuel to pull to outpace Olga in the last 50m.
- Asian Games athletics: Relay team gives gold, Preeja silver (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Asian Games: India's gold tally rises to 13 (Evening Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Asian Games: Four golds take India's tally to 14 (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- A relay medal in London Olympics possible: Manjeet Kaur - Dec 12, 2010
- Asian Games: 4X400m relay women's team wins 13th gold for India - Nov 26, 2010
- Eight athletes failing dope test is unusual: athletics coach - Jul 31, 2011
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Asian Games athletics: Disappointing day for India - Nov 22, 2010
- Ashwini, Priyanka's B-samples test positive - Jul 11, 2011
- CWG athletics: Indian women bag 4x400m relay gold - Oct 12, 2010
- Six women quarter-milers get 12-month ban, but London hopes alive - Dec 23, 2011
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini, Priyanka also fail dope test (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Indian women script history by claiming Gold medal in 4x400m relay in C'wealth Games - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: 2006 doha games, 2010 commonwealth games, 400m hurdles, 50m, ashwini, asian games, chidananda, fifth gold, gold medal, indian women, jingwen, kazakh, mandeep kaur, margarita, olga, quartet, rapid strides, relay team, tereshkova, viktoriya yalovtseva