Asian Games athletics: Gowda disappoints, Luka in 800m final (Lead)November 24th, 2010 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 24 (IANS) India’s medal hope Vikas Gowda disappointed Wednesday finishing fourth in men’s discus throw event in the Asian Games here.
India, however, braced for a few medals from track and field with several athletes qualifying for the finals with competitive timings.
Vikas, a Commonwealth Games silver medallist, threw the discus to a distance of 63.13 metres to fall out of the medal bracket. Iran’s Ehsan Hadadi (67.99m) won the gold while the bronze went to his compatriot Samimi Mohammad (63.46m) at the Aoti Main stadium. Qatar’s Mohammed Ahmed Dheeb (64.56m) got the silver.
In long jump, India’s Maha Singh leapt 7.44m, to finish seventh while Ankit Sharma came ninth with a jump of 7.08m.
Ashwini Chidananda Akkunji and Jauna Murmu qualified for the women’s 400 metre hurdles with personal best timings. Both Ashwini and Jauna topped their heats.
Jauna qualified with a timing of 57.17 seconds while Ashwini, whose season’s best is 59.26 seconds, clocked 56.43 seconds. The final of the event will be held Thursday.
In the men’s 400 metre hurdles, Joseph Abraham qualified with a timing of 50.93secs.
Strong medal contender in the women’s 800m, Tintu Luka, who disappointed in the Commonwealth Games, topped her heat with a timing of 2:03.85secs. Sinimole Paulose also qualified, clocking 2:03.83s.
In men’s 200m, Suresh Sathya qualified for the final with a timing of 21.02secs.
In decathlon, Inder Bharat Singh, who was at third place in the morning after three events, fell to ninth place after a poor perfromance in high jump, where he finished sixth (1.91m), and 400m race, in which he could not complete. He totalled 3171 after the completion of five of the 10 disciplines.
Another Indian Joseph Pulimoottil is at seventh position with overally tally of 3791 points.
- Asian Games athletics: Ashwini, Jauna qualify for 400m hurdles - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian women lift Asiad bronzes in squash, boxing (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Asian Games athletics: India's Ashwini wins 400m hurdles gold - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Relay team gives gold, Preeja silver (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Ashwini, Abraham make it a golden double (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Paulose strikes gold after two years at Asian All Star Athletics - Jul 30, 2010
- Asian Games: Ashwini Chidananda, Joseph Abraham win 400m hurdles golds (Evening Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Athletics federation announces 92-member squad for CWG - Aug 31, 2010
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Indian discus thrower Vikas finishes eighth - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Vikas Gowda makes men's discus throw final (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 400m, asian games, bharat, chidananda, commonwealth games, compatriot, decathlon, ehsan hadadi, high jump, inder, jauna, joseph abraham, jump india, long jump, luka, medal contender, metre hurdles, s 400, silver medallist, tintu