Asian Games archery: Deepika loses bronze play-off (Roundup)November 23rd, 2010 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 23 (IANS) India’s 16-year-old archery sensation Deepika Kumari could not live up to expectations at the Asian Games as she lost the bronze medal match 2-6 to Kwon Un Sil of North Korea in the women’s individual recurve event here Tuesday.
Deepika struggled from the beginning against the seasoned Kwon losing the first two rounds 25-27, 26-28. The Indian came back strongly in the third, shooting two perfect tens and winning it 29-26. Deepika then shot an ordinary 26 in the fourth and the North Korean pounced on the opportunity to seal the match with an impressive 28.
Earlier, Deepika lost to eventual gold medallist Okhee Yun of South Korea 2-6 in the semifinals at the Aoti Archery Range. Yun bettered her silver medal performance of the Doha Asian Games thrashing Ming Cheng of China 0-6 in the final.
Deepika scraped past Tan Ya Ting of Chinese Taipei to move into the semi-finals.
Deepika, a gold medallist at the Delhi Commonwealth Games, won a close battle 6-4 (26-29, 28-26, 28-29, 28-27, 29-28) against Tan in the quarterfinals.
It was Tan, who defeated another Indian, Rimil Buriuly, 6-2 (22-27, 21-27, 28-27, 25-26) in the pre-quarterfinals.
Deepika got the better of Erwina Safitri of Indonesia 7-3 (28-36, 26-26, 27-24, 30-28, 26-22) in pre-quarterfinals.
She was ranked seventh in the qualification rounds while Rimil finished at 18th position.
Veteran Dola Bannerjee and Bombayla Devi failed to qualify for the elimination rounds.
The women’s team comprising Deepika, Dola and Rimil won its maiden Asian Games medal by edging Chinese Taipei in the bronze medal play-off Sunday.
Rahul Banerjee and Tarundeep Rai will play their elimination matches of the men’s individual recurve Wednesday.
Rahul, Jayanta Talukdar and Mangal Singh Champia won the bronze in the team event Monday.
- Asian Games archery: Deepika in quarters of individual recurve - Nov 23, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Deepika scrapes through to semi-finals (Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Deepika falters to end 4th, Yun Ok Hee takes gold (Intro roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Indian women get bronze, Korea take gold (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Indian women's team wins recurve bronze - Nov 21, 2010
- Archer Deepika Kumari wins first World Cup title - May 05, 2012
- CWG Archery: Deepika wins gold, Dola picks up bronze - Oct 10, 2010
- Asian Games: Three gold medals lift India to eighth spot (Evening Roundup) - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Deepika seventh, team 5th in women's qualifying - Nov 19, 2010
- Archer Tarundeep Rai to vie for World Cup bronze - Jun 21, 2012
- Asian Games archery: Tarundeep wins silver (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Asian Games: Athletics make it a golden Sunday for India (Roundup) - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games: Somdev wins singles, men's hockey team disappoints (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: archery range, banerjee, bronze medal, chinese taipei, commonwealth games, deepika, doha asian games, elimination rounds, games medal, gold medallist, mangal singh, match 2, medal play, perfect tens, pounced, qualification rounds, quarterfinals, rahul, silver medal performance, talukdar