Asian Champions Trophy: India rally to draw 2-2 against MalaysiaSeptember 7th, 2011 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) India rallied to force a 2-2 draw against Malaysia in the 1st Asian Men’s Champions Trophy hockey tournament at Ordos, China Wednesday.
For India, Ravi Pal (9th min) and Danish Mujtaba (52nd) were the goal scorers while Tajuddin Jalil and Mohd. Amin Rahim struck for Malaysia in the 24th and 32nd minutes.
A win against Malaysia would have ensured India a place in the final. They now, with eight points from two victories and two draws, will have to wait till their last round robin league match against Pakistan Friday.
India began aggressively and repeatedly breached the Malaysian defence. They took the lead nine minutes into the game when Sunil’s shot was padded away to Pal who picked up the high rebound and slotted it home.
Malaysia were quick to step up their ante and equalised through their third penalty corner when Jalil deflected the flick past Indian goalkeeper Sreejesh.
They moved up eight minutes later when Sreejesh committed a howler by kicking the ball to an Indian defenders leg and thus conceded another penalty corner. Amin made no mistake in converting and Malaysia entered the break 2-1 ahead.
The Malaysian defenders put up a stoic resistance but India found the equaliser in the later stages when midfielder Gurbaj Singh sent a brilliant central cross from the right flank to the diving Mujtaba, who drove it home.
Malaysia are now out of contention for the final as they have four points from as many matches.
- Asian Champions Trophy: India-Pakistan in final - Sep 09, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India narrowly go down to Britain - May 27, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Azlan Shah hockey: Clinical India beat Malaysia 5-2 - May 09, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India stun Britain to clinch bronze - Jun 03, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: India knocked out by Malaysia's golden goal (Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- India beat Pakistan 4-2 in Azlan Shah hockey - May 07, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Indian hockey team rout Belgium 6-0 - Jul 17, 2010
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: Goalie Sreejes stars in India's win over Pakistan - Sep 11, 2011
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic hockey: Jittery India suffer third defeat - Aug 03, 2012
- Junior Asia Cup: India beaten by Malaysia in semis - May 10, 2012
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: asian men, champions trophy hockey, champions trophy hockey tournament, champions trophy india, contention, ensured india, equaliser, flank, flick, four points, goal scorers, goalkeeper, howler, malaysian defence, mohd amin, mujtaba, ordos, rahim, ravi, tajuddin