Asian Champions Trophy: India-Pakistan in finalSeptember 9th, 2011 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ordos (China), Sep 9 (IANS) India will face arch rivals Pakistan in the final of the inaugural Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament after the two teams drew 2-2 in their last group encounter here Friday.
India, the only unbeaten team in the tournament, staged a remarkable fightback to hold the Asian Games champion in an absorbing affair.
Striker Mohd. Waqas and Mohd. Irfan scored for Pakistan in the 40th and 43rd minute while Rupinder Pal Singh reduced the margin from an indirect penalty corner in the 46th minute before Danish Mujtaba found the equaliser in the 53rd minute.
India dominated the first half but conceded two goals after the break. However, they fought back gallantly with forwards Gurvinder Chandi, skipper Rajpal Singh, SV Sunil and diminutive Yuvraj Walmiki successful in getting four penalty corners alternately executed by Rupinder Pal Singh and Raghunath.
Mujtaba drew parity in the 53rd minute when he picked up a full blooded shot from defender Manjit Kullu in the Pakistan striking circle and deflected home with his back to the goal.
The goal was disallowed initially by the neutral umpire from New Zealand but he awarded it in India’s favour after his consultation with the other umpire from South Korea.
Pakistan were through to the Sunday final with the drawn result but India had to wait for the outcome of the remaining two matches to know their fate.
South Korea made their exit when they were held 1-1 by bottom-placed China, while India heaved a huge sigh of relief when Malaysia came back from a two-goal deficit to pip Japan 3-2.
Korea will play China for the fifth and sixth positions Sunday while Malaysia will clash with Japan for the bronze medal, to be followed by the India-Pakistan grand finale.
- India beat South Korea 5-3 in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 06, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: India rally to draw 2-2 against Malaysia - Sep 07, 2011
- India trounce China 5-0 in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 03, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Azlan Shah hockey: Clinical India beat Malaysia 5-2 - May 09, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: Goalie Sreejes stars in India's win over Pakistan - Sep 11, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Pakistan beat India 3-1 - May 11, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: Rajpal to lead men's team, Anjum women's - Aug 16, 2011
- Azlan Shah cup: India hold on Australia 1-1 - May 08, 2011
- Japan hold India to 1-1 draw in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 04, 2011
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- India pummel Egypt 7-1, to meet South Korea in Azlan Shah final - May 15, 2010
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
Tags: 53rd, arch rivals, asian games, bronze medal, champions trophy hockey, champions trophy hockey tournament, champions trophy india, equaliser, fightback, grand finale, india pakistan, kullu, mujtaba, ordos, penalty corners, raghunath, striking circle, unbeaten team, waqas, yuvraj