Asiad gold medallist sent to judicial custody for ‘rape’ (Lead)June 15th, 2012 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 15 (IANS) A West Bengal court Friday remanded Asian Games gold medal-winning athlete Pinki Pramanik to 14 days’ judicial custody after the athlete was accused of being a male and arrested on charges of alleged rape.
“The court has remanded Pramanik to judicial custody for 14 days. The court has also directed that the athlete’s gender be determined through a medical test in a government hospital within 14 days,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Bidhannagar (North 24 Parganas) Subrata Bandyopadhyay said.
“Pramanik has been kept in a separate cell as her gender is disputed and yet to be determined through a medical test at a government hospital,” public prosecutor Bikas Dey said.
Pramanik was arrested after the athlete’s live-in partner, a divorcee and a mother of one, lodged a police complaint accusing Pramanik of being a man who has been repeatedly raping and torturing her.
Following the complaint, Pramanik was taken to a private nursing home for a medical check-up where the test reports showed that the athlete was indeed a male.
Pramanik, who refused to undergo a second medical test Thursday, again declined to go for the test Friday.
“We are trying to convince Pramanik for the test,” the athlete’s counsel, Madhav Sanyal, said.
Pramanik won gold in the 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha in Qatar. She was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
Pramanik retired from athletics three years ago and is now a ticket collector with Eastern Railways.
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki to face gender test Monday - Jun 16, 2012
- It's a conspiracy, says family of arrested Asiad medallist (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail - Jul 10, 2012
- Pinki Pramanik suspended from railways' job - Jun 17, 2012
- Arrested for rape, Asiad gold medallist Pinki presented in court - Jun 15, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for 'rape' (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: asian games, bandyopadhyay, being a man, commissioner of police, divorcee, eastern railways, games gold, government hospital, judicial custody, madhav, medical check, medical test, melbourne commonwealth games, police complaint, pramanik, public prosecutor, silver medallist, subrata, ticket collector, west bengal