Asia Cup win must for Pakistan to qualify for World CupMay 12th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Kuantan (Malaysia), May 12 (ANI): Pakistan must win the ongoing Asia Cup Hockey tournament in order to secure a birth in the World Cup to be held in New Delhi next year.
Pakistan coach Shahid Ali Khan said that as per the International Hockey Federation (FIH) decision, only the winners of the Asia Cup would qualify for the World Cup.
Khan downed the notion that Pakistan would qualify automatically for the mega event, even if it reaches the final of the Asia Cup with India.
“We must win Asia Cup here to qualify for the World Cup,” The News quoted Khan, as saying.
Khan said after defeating the defending champions India in the first game, Pakistan team is upbeat about its performance, and are confident of winning the tournament.
“We would be going all out to win here to make things easy for us. We need element of luck to win here. Its tough task, but boys are motivated after Indian win,” he added.
Being the host country, India has already qualified for the World Cup. (ANI)
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- India face Sri Lanka in junior hockey Asia Cup - May 03, 2012
- Pakistan will have the upper hand: Shahid Ali Khan - Feb 27, 2010
- FIH to launch World League - Feb 22, 2011
- Hero MotoCorp to sponsor Olympic hockey qualifiers - Jan 31, 2012
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- FIH hopeful of ending impasse before Olympic qualifiers - Sep 13, 2011
- India to host inaugural World Hockey League final - Feb 22, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- Chandran is tournament doctor for Asian Games hockey - Nov 09, 2010
- FIH gives HI and IHF a month to resolve tangle - Feb 27, 2012
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- India to host four major hockey events in three years - Nov 12, 2010
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Hockey camp to focus on fitness, strength: Nobbs - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: ali khan, asia cup hockey, coach, country india, element, fih, first game, hockey tournament, host country, international hockey federation, kuantan malaysia, New Delhi, notion, pakistan team, shahid ali, world cup