Asia Cup: Bangladesh recall Mortaza, drop TamimMarch 6th, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 6 (IANS) Former Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe bin Mortaza has been recalled while explosive opener Tamim Iqbal was dropped from the 14-member national squad for the Asia Cup cricket tournament to be held here March 11-22.
Mortaza was selected on the basis of his performance in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), where he played a crucial role in Dhaka Gladiators’ victory in the inaugural league.
Tamim, Bangladesh’s No.1 batsman, was ignored despite recovering from a groin injury that he picked up during the BPL.
Besides Tamim, Alok Kapali, Rubel Hossain, Naeem Islam, Shahriar Nafees and Farhad Reza were also not considered for the Asia Cup.
Chairman of selectors Akram Khan said the decision to ignore Tamim was taken by Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Mustafa Kamal. The captain will be announced later.
“It’s a decision of the president. He selected the final squad, not us,” Khan said
Mortaza, a right-arm fast bowler, returns to the national squad after a year-long layoff due to a knee injury.
Opener Anamul Haque is the only rookie while batsman Mohammad Nazimuddin, wicketkeeper-batsman Jahurul Islam and seamer Shahadat Hossain were recalled after a good show in the domestic circuit.
Defending champions India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are the other teams in the Asia Cup.
The squad: Imrul Kayes, Mohammad Nazimuddin, Jahurul Islam, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mohammad Mahmudullah, Shakib Al Hasan, Nasir Hossain, Mashrafe Mortaza, Abdur Razzak, Elias Sunny, Nazmul Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Shahadat Hossain, Anamul Haque.
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh opt to field against Pakistan - Mar 22, 2012
- Bangladesh recalls Shahadat for Windies series - Oct 01, 2011
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh put India in to bat - Mar 16, 2012
- Mortaza, Kapali recalled in Bangladesh ODI squad for Oz series - Mar 28, 2011
- Bangladesh call-up Mortaza for national camp - Nov 17, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. Bangladesh, 4th ODI, Asia Cup - Mar 16, 2012
- Bangladesh spoils Tendulkar's 100th international ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Bangladesh could be a team to watch out for (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 13, 2011
- India seem superior, Bangladesh hoping for 2007 replay - Feb 18, 2011
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Bangladesh - Mar 16, 2012
- Pakistan beat Bangladesh to win Asia Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- India have batting to overpower Bangladesh (Evening Lead, World Cup match preview) - Feb 18, 2011
- Pakistan elect to bat against Bangladesh - Jun 21, 2010
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh restrict Pakistan to 236/9 - Mar 22, 2012
- Akram Khan quits as Bangaldesh's chief cricket selector - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: abdur razzak, al hasan, alok kapali, asia cup cricket, bangladesh cricket board, cricket tournament, cup chairman, groin injury, india pakistan, kayes, mashrafe mortaza, mushfiqur rahim, mustafa kamal, naeem, nazmul hossain, seamer, shahadat, shahriar nafees, shakib, wicketkeeper