Ashwin should be ready to bowl on any wicket: GambhirNovember 24th, 2011 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) Gautam Gambhir Thursday said Ravichandran Ashwin’s criticism of Wankhede pitch was uncalled for and that the off-spinner should be ready to bowl on any kind of wicket.
Ashwin had expressed disappointment over the wicket for not having enough bounce and turn. Ashwin took five wickets in the first innings but not before West Indies piled up 590.
“There’s nothing to be heartbroken about,” Gambhir said, reacting to Ashwin’s comments.
“A bowler needs to bowl on every kind of wicket. A batsman never says he is heartbroken if it is a green top. They simply play on any wicket,” he added.
“There will be many occasions where he will have to bowl on wickets that are more flat than this one. So there is no need to feel cheated.”
“It is a great challenge and everyone should try to accept it and get the best out of it.”
“That’s what Test cricket is all about. You don’t get a five-wicket haul or a hundred easily. You have to work hard for it,” said Gambhir, who scored 55 in India’s score of 281/3 Thursday.
Ashwin took his second five-wicket haul in three Tests following his six for 47 in Delhi.
Gambhir said Ashwin has a great future ahead.
“He has taken two five-wicket hauls in this series and has a great future ahead,” he said.
- Dravid crosses 13,000-run mark, Tendulkar closer to 100th ton - Nov 24, 2011
- Tea Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, Third Test, Day Four - Nov 25, 2011
- Openers give India strong start; Ojha gets maiden five-wicket haul - Nov 07, 2011
- It wasn't as easy a win as it looked: Dhoni - Nov 09, 2011
- Felt cheated with lack of bounce at Wankhede: Ashwin - Nov 23, 2011
- Surprised I got wickets on Kotla track: Ashwin - Nov 08, 2011
- Ojha, Ashwin bowl out West Indies (Lunch Report) - Nov 26, 2011
- No room for Harbhajan as selectors retain squad for Eden Test - Nov 10, 2011
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- India suffer batting collapse, Hilfenhaus bags maiden fifer (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- India struggling against West Indies in first Test (Tea report) - Nov 07, 2011
- India beat New Zealand by an innings and 115 runs - Aug 26, 2012
- India can try out their options against the Netherlands (Preview) - Mar 08, 2011
- Triple strikes from Yadav trouble Australia (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Raina, Kohli to India's rescue (Tea Lead) - Sep 01, 2012