Ashwell Prince dumped, Jacques Kallis to captain ProteasMarch 12th, 2009 - 1:36 pm ICT by ANI
Durban, Mar.12 (ANI): South African selectors have dumped Ashwell Prince as captain only a day after announcing that the team’’s regular vice-captain would lead the side in the absence of injured skipper Graeme Smith.
Smith will miss next week’’s third Test against Australia because of a fractured little finger and Prince, who had been unable to win a place in the side for the first two Tests, had been recalled on Tuesday in a 12-man squad for Cape Town.
Chairman of selectors Mike Procter had said Prince, whose place in the Test side for the home series against Australia had been taken by J P Duminy at No.5, would return as an opening batsman and skipper.
“Cricket South Africa announced on Wednesday that it had decided to stand Ashwell Prince down as captain to allow him to concentrate on his new position of opening batsman,” Cricket South Africa said in a statement. “Jacques Kallis will now captain the team on a one-off basis in next week’’s third Test against Australia,” the statement said.
Kallis, South Africa’’s all-time leading run scorer, also captained the side in the third Test against Australia three years ago in Johannesburg when Smith was injured.
South Africa’’s 12-man squad for Cape Town includes Prince and the uncapped Imraan Khan as a new opening pair, replacing Smith and axed veteran Neil McKenzie, 33.
Inconsistent pace bowler Morne Morkel has also been dumped with his brother Albie Morkel and teenager Wayne Parnell competing for the vacant pace-bowling spot in Cape Town.
Prince missed South Africa’’s 2-1 series win over Australia in Australia in December and January because of a thumb injury and Duminy thrived in his debut series, scoring a match-winning maiden century of 166 in the Melbourne Test in December. (ANI)
- India elect to field against South Africa - Jan 02, 2011
- India, Proteas in series face-off on batsman, spin friendly Cape Town pitch - Jan 01, 2011
- Tahir makes the cut in South Africa's ODI squad - Jan 06, 2011
- South Africa dump failed opener McKenzie and pace bowler Morne Morkel - Mar 11, 2009
- Aussie cricketers relax with their WAGs - Mar 13, 2009
- India eyeing historic Test series win against South Africa - Jan 01, 2011
- Gambhir helps India secure a draw in third Test, India level series (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
- Amla recalled to SA's Twenty20 squad - Dec 29, 2010
- South Africa win toss, choose to bat in Kolkata Test - Feb 14, 2010
- South Africa win toss, decide to bat in Nagpur Test - Feb 06, 2010
- Time India stamped their supremacy in world cricket - Dec 15, 2010
- South Africa opt to bowl against India - Dec 16, 2010
- Prince bitter over being dropped from Proteas Test side - Feb 12, 2009
- India, South Africa will have plenty to prove (Preview) - Mar 11, 2011
- South Africa to bat against India - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: ashwell prince, batsman, cricket south africa, debut series, graeme smith, jacques kallis, little finger, man squad, melbourne test, mike procter, neil mckenzie, new position, pace bowling, proteas, selectors, test side, third test, thumb injury, town chairman, vice captain