Arthur says Gibbs can re-invigorate his career in AustraliaJanuary 11th, 2009 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 11 (ANI): South African coach Mickey Arthur has said that batsman Herschelle Gibbs can re-invigorate his career in Australia following a stint in alcohol rehabilitation.
Gibbs returns to the Proteas” Twenty20 side against Australia at the MCG tonight, and Arthur said the one-day series was a chance for the 34-year-old to stake a claim for the upcoming World Cup, The Age reported.
Herschelles a quality player who we identified to carry on (and) go to the World Cup, Arthur said.
Im expecting ”Hersch” to lead the batting, hes one of our most experienced one-day players and I want to see him play with the responsibility that comes with being a senior player. Im hoping he rises to that challenge, he seems hungry, he’’s fit and seems mentally refreshed.
With captain Graeme Smith sent home to recover from an elbow injury and broken bone in his hand, all-rounder Johan Botha returns to tonights side as skipper.
Botha, who has captained South Africa three times in one-day contests, said he”ll look to the experience of former skipper Neil McKenzie for an edge over Australia.
Australian wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi is one of several changes to the Australian side, which suffered its first Test series defeat at home in 16 years. (ANI)
- Ex-Proteas opener Gibbs was a loner, claims Coach Arthur - Nov 03, 2010
- Botha to lead Proteas for limited-overs stage of Oz tour - Jan 11, 2009
- CSA to release Botha from central contracts - Mar 31, 2012
- South Africa snatch series and No.1 ODI spot from Australia - Jan 30, 2009
- Smith to miss one-dayers against Australia - Jan 01, 2009
- Proteas breeze to ODI series win over Australia - Jan 26, 2009
- Injured Kallis rested for Durban ODI - Apr 02, 2009
- Rehabbing Gibbs selected for South African ODI, T20 team - Dec 22, 2008
- Smith set for a last hurrah at World Cup - Feb 10, 2011
- Ponting likely to continue as Oz skipper - Mar 14, 2011
- South Africa dump failed opener McKenzie and pace bowler Morne Morkel - Mar 11, 2009
- Arthur backs Ponting to bat at No.3 - Apr 02, 2011
- 2006 match between S.Africa, Australia voted greatest ODI ever - Jan 06, 2011
- Botha to captain South Africa in Twenty20 match against Australia - Mar 27, 2009
- Elbow injury forces Smith to miss ODIs - Jan 01, 2009
Tags: alcohol rehabilitation, australia melbourne, broken bone, career in australia, elbow injury, first test, graeme smith, herschelle gibbs, johan botha, luke ronchi, mcg, neil mckenzie, proteas, quality player, rounder, skipper, south african coach, stint, test series, wicketkeeper