Arshavin out of Arsenal’s Champions League squadSeptember 18th, 2012 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian forward Andrei Arshavin has been left out of Arsenal’s 18-man squad for Tuesday’s Champions League football opener against Montpellier in France.
Arshavin has been frozen out of the Arsenal first team for almost a year and a proposed transfer move to his old club Zenit St. Petersburg has yet to materialise.
His place in the squad has been taken by French midfielder Abou Diaby, who returns after injury.
“Abou Diaby missed Saturday’s win over Southampton but is fit to face Montpellier,” the club’s website said. “He replaces … Arshavin in the 18-man party.”
Arshavin’s career is at an all-time low after being left out of Fabio Capello’s Russia team for the opening World Cup qualifying victories over Northern Ireland and Israel earlier this month.
The 31-year-old playmaker has been linked with a slew of English Premier League clubs as well as Turkish side Galatasaray in recent weeks, but will not be able to move to any European club until the winter transfer window opens in January.
His contract at the Emirates expires in June.
- Non-playing Arshavin out of Russia plans - Sep 08, 2012
- Arshavin visits St.Petersburg, sparks speculation - Aug 19, 2012
- Zenit mulling Arshavin bid: Coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Arsenal expect Arshavin in training by July 21 - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Russia can survive without Arshavin' - May 29, 2012
- Pogrebnyak agrees contract with Reading - Jun 30, 2012
- Reading completes Pogrebnyak signing - Jul 07, 2012
- Dzyuba to miss World Cup qualifiers - Sep 05, 2012
- Chelsea get tricky draw; Madrid, City in group of death - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: abou diaby, andrei, champions league football, dg, english premier league, fabio capello, galatasaray, man party, man squad, midfielder, montpellier, northern ireland, playmaker, premier league clubs, ria novosti, slew, southampton, st petersburg, turkish side, world cup