Arshavin crucial to Russia’s success, says AdvocaatJune 9th, 2012 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Wroclaw (Poland), June 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Star midfielder Andrei Arshavin is “very important” to Russia’s chances in the Euro 2012 Football Championship, head coach Dick Advocaat has said.
Arshavin helped his team in its 4-1 demolition of the Czech Republic at Euro Friday.
Arshavin set up two of Russia’s goals and could have claimed more assists if not for striker Alexander Kerzhakov’s wasteful finishing.
“He worked very hard and played very well,” Advocaat said Friday.
“He is a very important player for us. I am very positive about him.”
Two-goal hero Alan Dzagoev, 21, is starting to realise his potential, Advocaat said, pointing out that the CSKA Moscow midfielder is “looking better every day”.
Despite dominating the Czechs, Russians were not playing at their best and must improve if they are to cope with tougher opposition, Advocaat said.
“We should have scored more as we had a lot of chances,” he said. “Maybe a better team would have scored more against us.”
Russia allowed the Czechs too much freedom, the former Rangers coach said.
“There were moments where we need to be sharper, at certain points they had a lot of space and were very dangerous.”
Euro 2012 is Advocaat’s last tournament as Russia coach before he joins PSV Eindhoven in his native Netherlands.
Russia tops group A as a result of the win, after Poland and Greece drew 1-1 in the tournament opener.
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- Arshavin sorry for Russia's Euro 2012 showing - Jun 21, 2012
- Arshavin's creativity outweighs low stamina: Russia coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Coach Advocaat proud of Russia despite Euro exit - Jun 17, 2012
- Russia to improve: Advocaat - Jun 03, 2012
- 'Dangerous' Russia to qualify from group: Hiddink - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
- Greece too hard to break down: Russia coach - Jun 17, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian midfielder Dzagoev asks fans to behave - Jun 16, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Team relied on class, not effort: Russian sports minister - Jun 23, 2012
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- Russia needs fresh blood, says Hiddink - Jul 13, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian coach wary of 'rough' Greeks - Jun 15, 2012
- PSV sign Dutch forward Narsingh - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: alexander kerzhakov, andrei, assists, bs, cska moscow, czechs, demolition, dick advocaat, eindhoven, euro 2012, football championship, former rangers, goal hero, head coach dick, midfielder, opposition, ria novosti, russia, russians, wroclaw poland