Arsenal suffering a crisis of confidence: WengerMarch 13th, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 13 (ANI): Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has admitted that his club is suffering a crisis of confidence after they were dumped out of the FA Cup by Manchester United.
The Gunners have been left stunned by three cup defeats in the last fortnight and now have just the Premier League title to aim for.
Wenger blamed a hangover from the Champions League exit to Barcelona in midweek as goals from Fabio and Wayne Rooney gave United a 2-0 win at Old Trafford, The Sun reports.
He said: “Subconsciously I feel the disappointment of Tuesday played a part in the game. You could see something has gone. Not in our effort or attitude, but confidence-wise. I cannot fault our effort but things do not go our way at present. We have lost three big challenges in a strange way.”
“One in the last minute with a goal from nowhere, one under very strange circumstances in Barcelona and today in a match where we were not outplayed but were punished by a team that was more clinical than us. But I don’t feel like the season is slipping away. I believe we can do it,” Wenger said.
“It is a good test for us now to show we can regroup and show the mental strength and togetherness quickly. We will have to answer this kind of question in the next two or three weeks. We have to show we have an answer. We are used to being questioned. We have to show we are strong enough to deal with it,” he added. (ANI)
- Arsenal sets sights on Carling Cup - Feb 26, 2011
- Arsenal will not commit Champions League suicide: Jack Wilshere - Mar 07, 2011
- Arsenal under pressure to meet only remaining Premier League 'target': Wenger - Mar 21, 2011
- Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says Wenger - Feb 26, 2011
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Wenger hopes Henry's presence can inspire Gunners - Nov 18, 2011
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Wenger says gamble on Arshavin paid off in amazing style in historic defeat of Barca - Feb 17, 2011
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Fabregas expected to play against Barcelona - Mar 07, 2011
- Wenger inspired Arsenal victory piles pressure on Liverpool - Dec 14, 2009
- Defender Vermaelen signs new deal with Arsenal - Oct 19, 2011
- Wenger blames defenders for Carling Cup semi-final defeat - Jan 13, 2011
- Arsenal becomes first Champions League side without a shot at goal - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: arsenal boss arsene wenger, barcelona, champions league, confidence, disappointment, fa cup, fabio, fortnight, gunners, hangover, manchester united, mental strength, midweek, old trafford, premier league, strange circumstances, strange way, sun reports, togetherness, wayne rooney