Arsenal only club developing young players: WengerFebruary 24th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb.24 (ANI): Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes his club is the only one among Europes elite interested in developing young players. Blasting rivals like Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool for spending millions on established stars as a short cut to silverware, the Gunners boss insists Arsenal are the one club trying to mould a team from potential challengers into trophy winners rather than simply resorting to the cheque book.
Incredibly, Wenger sees no irony in the fact he has just shelled out 15 million pounds on Russian Andrey Arshavin.
And the fact most of his pupils have arrived from abroad passes him by too.
As Wenger prepared for tonights Champions League showdown against Roma at The Emirates, he talked of emulating Alex Fergusons golden generation by producing one of his own.
But while Fergies foundations were built on British gems like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and David Beckham, Wengers will be largely drawn from continental Europe.
If he had every player fit, the only Englishman who might make Wengers team is Theo Walcott.
There will not be a single Englishman in Wengers 18-man squad tonight and that is far from unusual.
We still feel we want to have values in our side and they are more than just players who have been bought together with the attitude of lets win trophies and parade them, The Sun quoted him, as saying.
We have a different idea of football and the game. “I believe that no matter what happens it is important to keep this team together. This team is as good as anything in England, he added.
What we achieve in the rest of this season and the trophies we win is important in keeping players like Cesc and Van Persie. But they also have to decide whether they really want to show how good they can be together. That is in their hands as well, he said. (ANI)
- Arsene fears more players will leave Arsenal - Sep 24, 2011
- Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says Wenger - Feb 26, 2011
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Wenger says gamble on Arshavin paid off in amazing style in historic defeat of Barca - Feb 17, 2011
- Arsenal's van Persie out for six weeks with knee injury - Mar 02, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Arsenal bent on wrecking Man U's unbeaten run: Walcott - Dec 10, 2010
- Wenger hails Arsenal's goal hero Robin van Persie - Sep 30, 2009
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Walcott can be injury hit Arsenal's match-winner against Barcelona at Nou Camp: Wenger - Apr 01, 2010
- Keep distance from Van Persie, Wenger tells Manchester City - Oct 01, 2011
- Wenger jealous of United's FA Cup exit - Jan 04, 2010
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: andrey arshavin, arsenal manager arsene wenger, cesc, cheque book, continental europe, david beckham, englishman, fergusons, golden generation, gunners, london feb, man squad, manager arsene wenger, manchester united, paul scholes, ryan giggs, theo walcott, trophy winners, van persie, wengers