Arsenal fan commits suicide after team’s loss to Man UMay 7th, 2009 - 2:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 7 (ANI): An Arsenal fan has hanged himself after his team lost 3-1 to Manchester United in the Champions League semi final last night.
English clubs enjoy a passionate following among Kenyan locals and Suleiman Alphonso Omondi (29) from Nairobi was found dead at his home just hours after Arsenal slumped out of the coveted competition.
Police confirmed football-mad Omondi was wearing his Arsenal shirt when he took his own life, SKY News reported.
Omondi’s friend Calvin Otieno said: “We were watching the match at Bamba 70 pub, and when Arsenal were defeated, Suleiman just walked out in protest and he was crying.”
“We didn’t know he was going to hang himself until this morning when we received the reports and came here to find his body at the balcony,” he added.
Football related tragedies are frequent in Kenya, where English clubs enjoy a passionate following among the locals.
European games, in particular the UEFA Champions League, attract more attention than national and continental fixtures.
For many Arsenal fans, the tie was a chance to overcome a disappointing season. It has been four years since the Gunners won a domestic or European trophy. (ANI)
- English football not well: Ancelloti - Dec 20, 2011
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- Wenger hopes Henry's presence can inspire Gunners - Nov 18, 2011
- Gazprom unveiled as UEFA Champions League sponsor - Jul 09, 2012
- Gazprom unveiled as Champions League sponsor - Jul 10, 2012
- Pre-season overseas tour has double edges: Wenger - May 05, 2012
- Arsenal to play Man City in Beijing's Bird's Nest - Feb 29, 2012
- Arsenal great Bergkamp named Ajax youth team boss - Jan 04, 2011
- Three Spanish sides in Europa League action - Mar 28, 2012
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Bookies favour Manchester City to win EPL - Aug 17, 2012
- Gazprom inks sponsorship deal with Chelsea - Jul 18, 2012
- Racist Zenit graffiti prompts UEFA warning - Jun 07, 2012
- Eto'o asks UEFA to reconsider Anzhi ban - Jul 16, 2012
- Tbilisi to host 2015 UEFA Super Cup - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: arsenal fan, arsenal fans, balcony, english clubs, european games, european trophy, football mad, gunners, kenya, locals, london, manchester united, match, nairobi, protest, sky news, suicide, suleiman, tragedies, uefa champions league