Arsenal captain Fabregas out for four monthsDecember 24th, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 24 (DPA) Arsenal football club manager Arsene Wenger confirmed that his captain Cesc Fabregas is likely to miss four months with his knee injury.”The news is not good,” Wenger told reporters. “It will take three to four months, we count four. He will be working hard to come back earlier but I count four months.”
Fabregas suffered a partial rupture to the medial ligament after making a block tackle on Liverpool’s Xabi Alonso in Sunday’s 1-1 draw at the Emirates Stadium.
Wenger has been linked with a move for the unsettled Zenit St. Petersburg forward Andrei Arshavin, and admitted the injury makes him more likely to bring players in during the January window.
“It is more likely but we also have internal solutions and we are not desperate,” Wenger said.
“We will miss him (Fabregas), of course, but how much is difficult to say,” Wenger added.
“We have to find a way and we want to find a way to compensate the fact that he is not on the pitch to give everyone a bit more.
“I’m sure we can deal with it. When he comes back he can help us get over the line in the final months. I believe we are able to do it.”
Arsenal face a crucial trip to third-placed Aston Villa in the Premier League Friday.
- Zenit mulling Arshavin bid: Coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Arshavin visits St.Petersburg, sparks speculation - Aug 19, 2012
- Allow me to join Barcelona, Fabregas tells Wenger - Jul 18, 2011
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Arsenal ready to sell skipper Fabregas for 35-mn pounds - Apr 27, 2011
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Wenger takes blame for Arsenal's FA Cup ouster at Stoke - Jan 25, 2010
- Arsenal send Arshavin to St. Petersburg on loan - Feb 25, 2012
- I could write a book about the summer: Wenger - Sep 10, 2011
- Fabregas hints at staying at Arsenal - Feb 18, 2011
- Fabregas' hamstring is in head: Wenger - Dec 27, 2010
- No rift between Fabregas, Denilson says coach Wenger - Jan 20, 2011
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Wenger targets Alonso for an injured Fabregas - Dec 25, 2008
- Arsenal players lack winning mentality: Fabregas - Oct 15, 2010